This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

I Think I Found My Starting Problem

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
capecodcub
10+ Years
10+ Years

I Think I Found My Starting Problem

Postby capecodcub » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:13 pm

I spent 2 hours today trying to start the cub. I went through and checked everything in the mag. Then I went to the carb. Still nothing. I started to wonder why I had what I considered excessive moisture coming out of the exhaust/ intake. Decided to check the oil for"you know what". Yes, the oil was a nice gray milky color. So I say there is my problem. Drain the oil, take the head off and voila, water in the cylinders. I check the head for being straight and it has about a .009-.010 depression in the middle of the head. So I am off to the machinist to get the head shaved and to TM website to order headgaskets, etc. Have any of you had a head warp before? I have had problems with aluminum heads on my vintage race cars, but wouldn't think a steel head on a 10HP motor would be that far out. I have only had this tractor for a couple of months so I continue to repair sins of past owner/s. Thanks for any insight and thanks for reading my long winded post. I am pretty sure this will finally fix my starting problems.
David Svarczkopf

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:22 pm

David, you might be surprised and how much these heads will pull down when you torque the bolts. It may be that re-torquing the head might have solved that problem.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

evielboweviel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43130
eBay ID: evilboweviel

Postby evielboweviel » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:48 pm

I see this as an excuse to increase the horsepower of the cub. shave the head, next will be a major bore job with paper thin cylinder walls, custom built cam, four barrel carb and then off to the cub tug. Where everybody knows the no 1 rule is AIN'T NO STINKING RULES.
And so another innocent cubber starts down that path.
next there will be more and more cubs in the garage, backyard, shed, etc.
Have fun
Ron

capecodcub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub Tug

Postby capecodcub » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:33 pm

evielboweviel wrote:I see this as an excuse to increase the horsepower of the cub. shave the head, next will be a major bore job with paper thin cylinder walls, custom built cam, four barrel carb and then off to the cub tug. Where everybody knows the no 1 rule is AIN'T NO STINKING RULES.
And so another innocent cubber starts down that path.
next there will be more and more cubs in the garage, backyard, shed, etc.
Have fun
Ron

Ron, you might be on to something! Maybe some special domed hemi pistons, some porting/ polishing, some headers, etc. I will keep everyone posted.......................................or maybe not and have the ultimate CUB sleeper!
David Svarczkopf

Return to “Farmall Cub”