This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

quesion on tranny parts

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35
Circle of Safety: Y

quesion on tranny parts

Postby Daniel H. » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:32 pm

I've been going through my tranny parts and have a couple of questions. The replacement front spline shaft bearing I got does not have the shield in it like the original, will this be OK or will it leak out out the front? Next, is there anything special about the PTO pilot bushing? I have a bronze bushing that matches up, but I think it cam from the hardware store for less than $1.00. Also, is it usually necessary to replace the reverse idler bushing? I ask because the shop manual says it will need reaming to size. Is an adjustable hand reamer the best tool for this?

Thanks
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:36 pm

Had me curious, so I looked through my photos and saw one with the front of the new bearing having an aluminum shield on it. But that almost doesn't seem right now because any oil that got in there couldn't get out except through the shield or seal. There is an oil journal above that looks like it should oil the bearing (lots of little filings up there.... I used a magnet). It could be that without a shield it would get oil in there and 'pressurize' it enough to push it out the seal????

The only thing I didn't replace was the reverse idler bushing... I have no ream and there wasn't much play.

The PTO shaft is spinning in there anytime it is not engaged, but I would guess that as long as it doesn't spin in the main shaft and spins free at the PTO you should be OK. The one that was in mine was staked in and was tough to get out.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Bu ... 4ec743.jpg

I say all this with ZERO experience in transmissions and most things mechanical till I got a Cub. Might be a good idea to wait for an expert to answer!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:01 am

I'm no expert, but the oil port combined with the shield held oil in the
bearing for when the input shaft is idling or used for pto/belt work
as the trans gears were not turning and splashing oil on the input
shaft bearings--you will note the rear bearing on the input shaft is
set up in a like manner. George Willer mentioned the availability of
sealed bearings for front and rear of input shaft, but I believe the
rear bearing involved some machining--the front is an exact size.

Bill

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby Daniel H. » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:41 pm

Thanks for the replies, I hadn't thought about the shield holding oil while the tractor is running the belt pulley or PTO. I already have a sealed bearing for the rear so I might as well put one on the front. Any special type needed?

Daniel
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:26 pm

Bill I think what George was talking about was changing to a needle bearing, but not too sure. Somewhere along the line IH changed to a needle bearing for the rear one.

Daniel, I just figured mine lasted 55 years and the only reason I was replacing it anyway was water.... so I just put a CaseIH one in there. I forget who the MFG was. It was the rear one that was making noise:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Bu ... 774097.jpg
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:38 pm

Buzzard Wing wrote:Bill I think what George was talking about was changing to a needle bearing, but not too sure. Somewhere along the line IH changed to a needle bearing for the rear one.

Daniel, I just figured mine lasted 55 years and the only reason I was replacing it anyway was water.... so I just put a CaseIH one in there. I forget who the MFG was. It was the rear one that was making noise:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Bu ... 774097.jpg

Larry,

I was talking about a replacement sealed radial ball bearing. I think it's a good idea for both bearings. The original rear bearing was a Hyatt.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:32 am

Thanks for straightening me out George.