This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

2 way plow questions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
capecodcub
10+ Years
10+ Years

2 way plow questions

Postby capecodcub » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:43 pm

Hello All,
I had a "CUB" day today and traveled the countryside picking up misc parts from central Mass. and Conneticut. Picked up a complete,( I think!) 2 way plow from a very nice guy, Ray Currier. I am anxious to attach it but am trying to identify it. It is different than the one that TM's site has.
http://www.tm-tractor.com/gim/189_plow_002.htm
Pictures of mine are posted at Cubfest Photo
http://photos.cubfest.com/displayimage.php?pos=-3985
Can anyone help me identify these and any comments would be greatly appreciated.
David Svarczkopf

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:22 pm

Yours has different bottoms, which is no big deal. Multiple bottoms were available. Is there some other difference you see?

capecodcub
10+ Years
10+ Years

differences

Postby capecodcub » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:27 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Yours has different bottoms, which is no big deal. Multiple bottoms were available. Is there some other difference you see?

Jim the only difference that is obvious to me is the arched arms that go from the draw bar to the bottoms is different and the "colter's" I think they are called mount differently on mine. These are the discs in front of the bottom's. Mine swing latteraly side to side for some type of adjustment.
David Svarczkopf

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:31 pm

I hope Ray has 2 of those setups because I just bought a depth control lever for a 2 way from him
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:34 pm

The one on Tom's site has jointers on it (the things that look like tiny plow bottoms). They are next to the colters but not attached to them. I'm not seeing a difference in the beams.

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:03 pm

I would need to see the rest of the setup. You are missing the parts that attach to the top of the torque tube that allow you to drop one plow at a time. The last rebuild I did had this set up on it and it took me a while to figure out how it went back on. You would think that I would have taken pictures before hand. :D

capecodcub
10+ Years
10+ Years

parts

Postby capecodcub » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:23 pm

Cecil (53 Cub) wrote:I would need to see the rest of the setup. You are missing the parts that attach to the top of the torque tube that allow you to drop one plow at a time. The last rebuild I did had this set up on it and it took me a while to figure out how it went back on. You would think that I would have taken pictures before hand. :D

Cecil, I didn't show pictures of all of the other parts. But they are there and they all cross to TM's pictures. I don't know where I would be without Tom's pictures! I will try to hook it all up this weekend if it isn't too cold. Teens with wind chill!!!! It might have to wait if I can't feel my fingers.
David
David Svarczkopf

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: parts

Postby Rudi » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:28 pm

capecodcub wrote:
Cecil (53 Cub) wrote:I would need to see the rest of the setup. You are missing the parts that attach to the top of the torque tube that allow you to drop one plow at a time. The last rebuild I did had this set up on it and it took me a while to figure out how it went back on. You would think that I would have taken pictures before hand. :D

Cecil, I didn't show pictures of all of the other parts. But they are there and they all cross to TM's pictures. I don't know where I would be without Tom's pictures! I will try to hook it all up this weekend if it isn't too cold. Teens with wind chill!!!! It might have to wait if I can't feel my fingers.
David

David:

1st. Nice buy
2nd Those are identical to Gord's 189 Two-Way MoldBoard Plow and very similar to mine. Nothing unusual about them at all. The only thing I can see different would be the moldboard extension boards.
3rd. Cub-189 Moldboard Plow Manual pretty well has all the info you will need to hook up your plow. Pretty standard I would think. Again, nice buy.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:12 am

capecodcub,

I've gone over the pictures with a fine-toothed comb myself, and quite frankly, the differences you're seeing... I'm not.

Beams (arched pieces that come from the drawbar) look the same.
Coulters (rolling discs) look the same.

There are only two minor differences. First is the moldboard. Yours is forged, while the one at TM's is cast (hope I got that right). Second is that TM's has jointers and yours doesn't.

Rust content appears equal :)

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:22 am

ive got a set i can take pictures of or you could come look at them if you would like
Image On To Bigger Things

Return to “Farmall Cub”