This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

safety

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
spaceghost
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02346
Tractors Owned: 1959 Cub lo-boy
1950 super A

Postby spaceghost » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:27 pm

On the bright side, the tractor looks unlikely to tip to its right. Is the cast wheel center still in place on the right rear?

George
Both rear tires are off the A. I am not sure what the cast wheel center is
Bacon makes everything better.
1959 LO-Boy 1950 Super A

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

evielboweviel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43130
eBay ID: evilboweviel

Postby evielboweviel » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:33 pm

A's had a cast wheel center right side rear and a stamped steel wheel center left side rear
Ron

spaceghost
10+ Years
10+ Years
1950 super A

Postby spaceghost » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:35 pm

got it. yes both are off.
1959 LO-Boy 1950 Super A

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:45 am

spaceghost and Billy:

I have removed the Live Test data from the How To. I think that would be as President George HW Bush affectionately says "prudent" :!: :wink: :D

How does all that look to everyone :?: :?:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:03 am

Rudi wrote:spaceghost and Billy:

I have removed the Live Test data from the How To. I think that would be as President George HW Bush affectionately says "prudent" :!: :wink: :D

How does all that look to everyone :?: :?:

I think it's "prudent", but I'm looking forward to Spaceghost's next effort. We can see a great talent there. :!: :wink: :D
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

spaceghost
10+ Years
10+ Years
1950 super A

Postby spaceghost » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:05 am

Rudi
I thought we were going to remove the entire suction (2. Bar in the Implement Mounting Hole)

If someone uses the pipe method and removes the rear tires they going to end up with a tilted tractor with the right side of the pipe off the jack stand.
1959 LO-Boy 1950 Super A

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:10 am

Ok, I will remove that next.

Question:

George:

Is the bar idea still viable? Would round or square stock be better? My thoughts would be square stock as it fits nicely in the tool bar socket and provides a flat surface for the axle jacks to accomodate.

Spaceghost:

I think the main point of the concern is the removal of the wedges. That is where the problem really exists. I would like to see George's thoughts on the tool bar socket idea and what the proper technique would be.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

spaceghost
10+ Years
10+ Years
1950 super A

Postby spaceghost » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:11 am

Thanks George
Rudi has already given me my next assignment, more to come.

Thanks to everyone for the comments and advice. Lots of input makes a good finished product.
1959 LO-Boy 1950 Super A

spaceghost
10+ Years
10+ Years
1950 super A

Postby spaceghost » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:13 am

Rudi
That sounds good to me.
1959 LO-Boy 1950 Super A

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:27 am

Rudi wrote:Ok, I will remove that next.

Question:

George:

Is the bar idea still viable? Would round or square stock be better? My thoughts would be square stock as it fits nicely in the tool bar socket and provides a flat surface for the axle jacks to accomodate.

Spaceghost:

I think the main point of the concern is the removal of the wedges. That is where the problem really exists. I would like to see George's thoughts on the tool bar socket idea and what the proper technique would be.

IMHO, the idea still has merit, but under different circumstances. As Bigdog has already said it's useful when removing the front axle... as long as the rear wheels remain in place. It gets a little stickier when the steering gear box is worked on. Then cribbing of some sort is required under the engine. Or...

Of course safety blocking will be in place while the tractor is being worked on.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:55 am

George:

Makes sense. So what we will do for now is to leave the How To strictly with Method 1. Hopefully we can get someone (Big Dog :wink: :shock: )to actually document how to do Method 2 and put it into a new How To possibly.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:08 pm

OK. It's just me.

Those jack stands are at maximum height. And there needs to be a more substantial cribing under the jack stands.

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:34 pm

I have three concerns with the bar method.

a} Getting the jack stand on the engine side close enough to the left tire to be stable.

b} The bar is not secured to the tractor. IE it can slid along the bar. And if their is oil or grease on it it would not take much. It took a lot pushing and prying on the finals of my cub to get them off the tractor.

c} It is not the way recomended by IH.

I am afraid that by showing it. It may open a can of worms that we don't want to open. And as the first way is the safest and recomended I feel that is the best way to go.

Spacegost I want to personally thank you. I really respect you for taking up this challange. You have done a awesome job showing both ways.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:14 pm

Cowboy wrote:I have three concerns with the bar method.

a} Getting the jack stand on the engine side close enough to the left tire to be stable.

b} The bar is not secured to the tractor. IE it can slid along the bar. And if their is oil or grease on it it would not take much. It took a lot pushing and prying on the finals of my cub to get them off the tractor.

c} It is not the way recomended by IH.

I am afraid that by showing it. It may open a can of worms that we don't want to open. And as the first way is the safest and recomended I feel that is the best way to go.

Spacegost I want to personally thank you. I really respect you for taking up this challange. You have done a awesome job showing both ways.

Billy

Billy:

There has been some controversy lately about the Safety threads themselves.. and this is a good thing btw... we need to be able to feel free to discuss a difference of opinion or technique openly. Something has stood out on this thread though . We are all pretty much in agreement on 2 practices.

1. The Safe Way to do it and the one approved by IH (utilizing and emphasising this one, is not only prudent, it is well established practice.)

2. The Wrong way to do it.

I got an idea.. We have changed the How To Safely Disassemble a Culti-Vision Tractor to reflect the IH Approved Method. This is good :!: 8)

Now, we also have a few other methods, and I am positive there have been many other ways that have been utilized over time... I know of at least one person who did it the wrong, unsafe and terribly stoooopid way -- ME -- cause I didn't know any better.

How about a How Not To Disassemble a Tractor thread :?:

We have some pics already, I am sure others have them as well.. then we are balanced and we coa (cover our assets) :wink: :roll: :lol: with it.

wvpolekat
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wvpolekat » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:39 pm

Just to throw my 2 shillings in.

Whenever there is a documented IH way of doing something, that should be considered the ONLY way to do it from a documentation standpoint.

When dealing with things such as this, there are always situations where there is another way to do it, and if someone finds that another way suits their situation better, there is noting stopping them from doing it that way.

In this case, only the wedges should be doucmented and demonstrated.

But, thats just my thought and I am sure others opinons vary.
49 Super A (Tinker) 47 Ford 2N (Cricket)
----------------------------------------------------------
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

Return to “Farmall Cub”