This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Gear Ratios

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
junkman1946
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby junkman1946 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:39 pm

OK The transmission gear shuffle idea sucks. Next question: Is the carrier assembly (a.k.a. ring and pinion) the same on a Cub and a Cub Cadet . :?: :?: :?:
1948 Cub F,1962 Original,1971 C.C.model86, WheelHorse and C.C. mini pulling tractors, C.C. models1450 , 682,106,123, Ariens GT17 with loader,Jacobsen Powermax loader and backhoe 8 more Cub Cadets in the shed waiting to go under the knife and spray gun.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:01 pm

AFAIK, they are the same but mounted with the ring gear on the opposite sides. It's possible to interchange them by assembling the ring gear opposite.

The reason... The gear set that reverses rotation is in the finals on the Cub but it's ahead of the transmission on the CC. It's the gear set ahead of the transmission of the CC that relocates the input shaft.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:59 pm

I have a little orange tractor that uses two three speed transmissions, one in front of the other, so what about using a bell housing from a power unit and create the drive line as needed
Jim Turner

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:48 am

If you can believe the parts manuals, yes the ring and pinion for the Cub and Cub Cadet are basically the same. The Cub parts manual and the TC-82 parts manual for the original model Cub Cadet says the ring gear has 46 teeth, pinion has 10, and both list the same part number for each respective part. The later parts manuals for the Cub Cadet list the same 46 tooth ring gear, but depending on the edition of the manual, list the pinion as having 10 teeth or 13 teeth, with the 13 teeth probably being a typo that was carried through to later manuals since the they list the same P/N (until is shows up as NLA). The P/N for the pinion and shaft for Cub Cadets after the Original, is different than the Cub and Original Cub Cadet because the front on the shaft is different depending on if the Cub Cadet has an internal wet brake or external brake.

To change the direction of travel, the ring gear and carrier is simply turned or "flopped" 180 degrees when it is installed into the case.

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:05 am

Here's a couple pics of the cub and cadet trans

One thing I found out the hard way, You can take a cadet trans and flip the ring gear to work in a regular cub, but you can't take a regular cub trans and flip the gear to use in a cadet. There's some casting down by the drain that was removed in the cadet trans and it's still there in the regular trans and hits the ring gear :shock:

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

junkman1946
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby junkman1946 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:49 pm

THE FOLLOWING IS UN-VEREFIED INFO. Some of the C.C. tractor pulling boys in the bigger classes claimed they were able to take the old style Chrysler ring and pinion and put it in the Cub Cadet case. This made for quick ratio changes. This was the same rear (removable carrier type) that Panzer- Co Par used in their tractors.This was suppposedly done with little or no machining. Im certainly going to look into it.
1948 Cub F,1962 Original,1971 C.C.model86, WheelHorse and C.C. mini pulling tractors, C.C. models1450 , 682,106,123, Ariens GT17 with loader,Jacobsen Powermax loader and backhoe 8 more Cub Cadets in the shed waiting to go under the knife and spray gun.

evielboweviel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43130
eBay ID: evilboweviel

Postby evielboweviel » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:59 pm

[One thing I found out the hard way, You can take a cadet trans and flip the ring gear to work in a regular cub, but you can't take a regular cub trans and flip the gear to use in a cadet. There's some casting down by the drain that was removed in the cadet trans and it's still there in the regular trans and hits the ring gear ]
Rick
years upon years ago when in high school we repaired and got running a cub that was backwards. something had been changed to flip all the gears also. was fun to drive just had to remember that the end behind turned wider than where you were and would hit bldgs etc with it. believe it belonged to a golf course?? always thought they had flipped the ring gear, never opened it up to look??
Ron

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:08 pm

junkman1946 wrote:THE FOLLOWING IS UN-VEREFIED INFO. Some of the C.C. tractor pulling boys in the bigger classes claimed they were able to take the old style Chrysler ring and pinion and put it in the Cub Cadet case. This made for quick ratio changes. This was the same rear (removable carrier type) that Panzer- Co Par used in their tractors.This was suppposedly done with little or no machining. Im certainly going to look into it.

Frank,

While you're looking see if you can find me a left handed stove pipe wrench. :? :? :? The cub's pinion gear is part of the lower transmission shaft while the Panzer used a separate Chrysler (Plymouth) transmission and differential. Somebody pulled your leg. :( :(
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

junkman1946
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby junkman1946 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:14 pm

A lot of tractor Mfgs. did that. They put the attachment over the big tires. They were called reverse loaders, forklifts, whatever. Last winter we re- built a J.D. 2010 reverse forklift. Fork mast between the big tires, BIG weight box hanging in front of the radiator.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:26 pm

George Willer wrote:
junkman1946 wrote:THE FOLLOWING IS UN-VEREFIED INFO. Some of the C.C. tractor pulling boys in the bigger classes claimed they were able to take the old style Chrysler ring and pinion and put it in the Cub Cadet case. This made for quick ratio changes. This was the same rear (removable carrier type) that Panzer- Co Par used in their tractors.This was suppposedly done with little or no machining. Im certainly going to look into it.

Frank,

While you're looking see if you can find me a left handed stove pipe wrench. :? :? :? The cub's pinion gear is part of the lower transmission shaft while the Panzer used a separate Chrysler (Plymouth) transmission and differential. Somebody pulled your leg. :( :(

I suppose that depends on what you consider little machining and how far you are willing to go for "old style". A bigger "no way" factor is that the ring and pinion of a Cub are bevel gears. You would have to go back a long way to find a ring and pinion in any car that is anything other than hypoid gears. If you put them in place in a Cub case, you couldn't mesh them.

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:42 pm

The pullers use a Dodge Dart steel carrier (7.25") and axle assemblies in the Cub Cadet rearend, but it is not a bolt in, and it is not inexpensive. The stock CC carrier is cast iron/steel and is known to break under pulling conditions. I have seen them break at CC plow days begind 16 hp engines or with too much added weight. The carriers from Ford Pintos are also being used by the pullers.

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:23 pm

the howard gear reducer is only supposed to be used to slow ground speed. It is not designed to increase the pulling power. The danco speed reducer for a cub cadet is too lightly made to handle use on a full size cub. It would be difficult to mate the different sze shafts .
I am currently redoing a cub loboy 184. I looked very close at the gear reducer on this 184.This reducer can be adapted very easily to a regular cub. the most difficult thing would to couple the driveshaft. remember the input shaft on a 184 doesnt provide the ability to connect a pto shaft on the back so you would have to use a driveshaft off a regular cub with much modificating to make it work. also the tractor would become about 4" longer. then you would have to adapt the fenders, floorboard and steering shaft along with the brake rods..If sometime in the future i find a speed reducer for a 184 i will install it on a regular cub.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:43 pm

Clark, don't forget that will also slow down the cub pto speed by the smae amount it slows the transmision shaft.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

junkman1946
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby junkman1946 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:44 pm

Here comes the left-handed stove pipe wrench. Go to this site http//hometown.aol.com/pullingtractor/transaxle.htm - go to drive train performance-info about IH Cub Cadet transaxle.I would have copied it here but I dont know how to. I didnt say it was easy. Alas , I dont think Chrysler 71/4 ratios went lower than the Cub already has. Frank

Return to “Farmall Cub”