This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

additional pto problem

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
farmer.boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

additional pto problem

Postby farmer.boy » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:29 pm

This PTO has never engaged very well. After going throught the "regular" steps I discovered there is quite a gap between the main shaft and the PTO shaft - probably 3/8-1/2 " when viewed through the bolt hole above. I was advised the bearing on the main shaft is probably installed backwards thus throwing the main shaft ahead and away from the PTO. You have to move the PTO lever half way before there was any engagement at all.

Anyway, the splines on both shafts looked ugly so I installed a new PTO shaft and am ready to replace the main shaft. I plan to seperately remove the wheels, both final drives and the main housing. Now my question. Rather than open the transmission case, Is it possible to follow the main shaft out of its home with a broomstick sized dowel then chase the dowel out with the replacement shaft?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cecil » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:44 pm

I just finished rebuilding a transmission so have been the route of having an empty case with a whole bunch of stuff laying on the bench that has to have a home. If the input shaft is out of the tractor you must have the top cover already removed because the gears ride on it and you need to see them when replacing the input shaft. The input shaft just slides in and the rear and front bearings will line it up. You will probably have to remove the PTO shaft first. Remember to replace the bushing on the input shaft that tha PTO shaft rides on. Trust me it is a lot easier when the input shaft is out of the transmission. I have done 2 and forgot to replace them both times and have had to do it after the input shaft was installed. Now this is all depending on whether I have undersood your post correctly. I've reread this a couple of times and hope it is not too confusing.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:44 pm

Stanley:

Now my question. Rather than open the transmission case, Is it possible to follow the main shaft out of its home with a broomstick sized dowel then chase the dowel out with the replacement shaft?

Am I to understand that you want to be able to use the dowel as a sort of full-sized fish that would:
    1. Push the shaft out, leaving a temporary shaft in place so that the rest of the parts do not fall out of alignment, then
    2. Get pushed out as the shaft is re-inserted - keeping the parts aligned?
So that you obviate the necessity to take the tranny case apart and redo each item individually :?:
Last edited by Rudi on Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

FuryIII
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby FuryIII » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:02 pm

the theory is sound. at worst youll just have to take it apart anyway. have you looked carefully at the exploded view in your service manual? id do a lot of reasearch before i tried it. has anyone ever tried it?

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:05 pm

It is possible to do what you asked but it will be much easier to align the gears with the spline shaft if you remove the shifter, it's only 8 bolts and a gasket that's easily made.
8)

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:54 pm

My fear doing it with the dowel would be the shifting fork on the first reverse gear. All of the gears have now dropped lower than they should be and it would take a lot of luck to get them correct. It's nothing to pull the shifter cover and do it the right way. You even get a chance to look at the inside. :lol:

farmer.boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby farmer.boy » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:57 pm

Thanks for the advice(s). I will go ahead and pull the shifter cover off and monitor the chaos from there. If all I want to do is replace the main shaft and put it back together are the spring loaded balls likely to assault me?

Stanley

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:00 pm

The poppet balls are held in place by the shifter rails. As long as they are in place you have nothing to worry about.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:18 am

Just finished R/R of the trans mainshaft with shifter plate removed.
Easy as can be. When you pull the main shaft no need to worry about
anything falling out of place, there are just 2 slider gears on the
mainshaft and they want to stay where they belong (as long as the
shifter forks etc are in place) When reinstalling mainshaft just use your
fingers to slip the 2 slider gears back on the mainshaft as you carefully
insert it into the trans and bingo you're finished. Yee Haw!!! :D

Bill

FuryIII
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby FuryIII » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:06 pm

Bill E Bob wrote:Just finished R/R of the trans mainshaft with shifter plate removed.
Easy as can be. When you pull the main shaft no need to worry about
anything falling out of place, there are just 2 slider gears on the
mainshaft and they want to stay where they belong (as long as the
shifter forks etc are in place) When reinstalling mainshaft just use your
fingers to slip the 2 slider gears back on the mainshaft as you carefully
insert it into the trans and bingo you're finished. Yee Haw!!! :D

Bill

glad it went well. Image

Return to “Farmall Cub”