This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Final Drive Gaskets

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
siii8873
10+ Years
10+ Years

Final Drive Gaskets

Postby siii8873 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:46 pm

I will be pulling off my final drive pans and changing the oil. What has everyone had luck with for a sealant on these. I was planning on using cork homemade gaskets with loctite flange sealant. My pans look OK but I'll know more when I pull them off.
"May the current be with you and the wind at your back"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:53 pm

The pan gaskets are easily made, but I use the ones from the dealer. The part # is 350827R1 and they sell for about $3.00 each. I sparingly use 3M glue to tack the gaskets in place. 8)
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:34 pm

Don't fill the pans too full, the bull gear will displace the gear lube and make a big mess :oops: :lol: :lol:
8)

rick 48 cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rick 48 cub » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:09 pm

Aren't the final drives supposed to be filled up to the fill holes - above the elevation top of the final drive pans?
Rick 1948 cub

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:37 pm

Technically - yes but you just need enough for the bull gear to pick up and throw around and splash lube everything.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

siii8873
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby siii8873 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:27 pm

I finally got around to completing by final drive oil change. I removed them cleaned them to bare metal and then primed/ painted them. The flanges needed a little tweking to get them acceptably straight. I cut my own gaskets using 1/16" rubber impregnated cork. Sprayed high tack sealant (NAPA) in pan flange and pan side of gasket. Filled them 1/2 full of gear oil (great tip!!) installed them and topped them off. Didn't see any leaks yea! A couple of thing I noticed while doing this. Not sure cork was the best choice, I didn't put alot of torque on my bolts but it appears that I created a slight ripple across the pans at the bolt locations. Second one was a duh. When applying the sealant to the pans I didn't keep the spray orientated in an outward direction thus leaving nice red spots at the bolt hole locations on my nice new painted yellow pans, may not have noticed if this were a red one.
"May the current be with you and the wind at your back"

Return to “Farmall Cub”