This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fuel line question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Larry in IN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46750
Tractors Owned: '59 cub running
'48 'H' running?
'54 '400' project
'67 806' project
?? '706' project
'70' 826G Hydro 'every day power! 1 of 14
'71' MM G1050 - Big iron
'51' JD 'R' project
'61 JD 3010 project
'48 Allis 'G'
'??' F-12 my son's

Postby Larry in IN » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:10 pm

George & BW [and anyone else, actually],
You have mentioned the mod necessary for an underslung exhaust, and I vaguely remember seeing some discussion on the board, but of course can't remember it. :oops: :shock:
Any tips :?:
TIA
Larry
One of the few advantages of growing older is that I finally realized that I haven't made ALL the stupid mistakes! Yet!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:52 pm

Larry,

Starting with the line as pictured in my how-to article...

The horizontal part from the carburetor must have an offset to bring the line closer to the engine to miss the exhaust. When I made the new line for Shorty I mistakenly made the offset closer to the carb than I should have, but it works fine. When I make a new line for Squatty I'll try to take some useful measurements.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:46 pm

George:

Can you take a few more pics and measurements when you make the new line, so we can include it in the how to article?

Also, can you take some pics showing how the bends are actually made etc?? That would be of great help to beginners..

I especially like Donny's comment to fill the brake line with fine sand to minimize pinching the line while bending.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:29 am

Suprised that I don't have a good photo of the fuel line on Rufus. Esssentially it was just modeled after the original, but my friend is a car mechanic (a factory trainer now) and has bent up some brake lines in his time. He used his snap-on tubing bender and it looks just like factory.

On Cathy I bent the first one the exact opposite of what it should have been on the second bend. Good thing the line is cheap.

If I had to do one for an underslung I woud be tempted to call Tom at TM and have him send me one. GW makes a good point about the problem if it is wrong.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Larry in IN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46750
Tractors Owned: '59 cub running
'48 'H' running?
'54 '400' project
'67 806' project
?? '706' project
'70' 826G Hydro 'every day power! 1 of 14
'71' MM G1050 - Big iron
'51' JD 'R' project
'61 JD 3010 project
'48 Allis 'G'
'??' F-12 my son's

Postby Larry in IN » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:44 am

Thanks guys,
right now the cub is in the shop and I am working to remove the very stubborn :? allen plugs from the new{?} hyd manifold before installation so that I don't have to later while it is on the tractor.While I am fighting that one, 'might as well...' do a fuel ine also. :shock:
Mucho Gracias :!:
Larry
One of the few advantages of growing older is that I finally realized that I haven't made ALL the stupid mistakes! Yet!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:52 am

Larry in IN wrote:Thanks guys,
right now the cub is in the shop and I am working to remove the very stubborn :? allen plugs from the new{?} hyd manifold before installation so that I don't have to later while it is on the tractor.While I am fighting that one, 'might as well...' do a fuel ine also. :shock:
Mucho Gracias :!:
Larry

Larry,

At the risk of taking this thread far afield... I wonder why all the allen plugs come out so hard? I didn't think anerobic (sp) sealants like Lock-Tite were even available when our tractors were built. Maybe they are just run in with an impact wrench? Has anyone had success using the hand held impact driver with an allen socket?

Another thought... I can't imagine how the original poster's sediment bowl can have a problem with contacting the engine? All mine are way behind the engine. There must be some added plumbing involved. :?

Danke schoen,
George Willer

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:59 am

I believe the original poster stated that when he tightened the sediment bowl far enough to not leak, it was turned to the point that the line hit the rear of the engine.

as far as the allen screws go, everyone I have ever taken out of a cub was extremely hard to turn unless it had been recently loosened. I just assumed that they rammed them in really tight with an air wrench when assembling.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magnumpi » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:05 am

As I've spent my life doing things the hard way, let me ask a simplistic question - why couldn't a guy use a "coil spring" tubing bender to bend this (or any) line to the desired dimension and then put the flares on after the fact ?? Seems much easier to me, but we always used Aeroquip aircraft lines and fittings on all our race cars so I may be well off line here. Craig

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:18 am

Craig - yes, you could bend the line that way. The fittings are compression ferrules. They are not flared.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

FCUBMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 2 Cubs
1 Simplicity
1 Craftsman
1 Farmall 130 with loader
1 Tiger

Postby FCUBMAN » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:00 am

George Willer wrote:Larry,

The horizontal part from the carburetor must have an offset to bring the line closer to the engine to miss the exhaust. When I made the new line for Shorty I mistakenly made the offset closer to the carb than I should have, but it works fine. When I make a new line for Squatty I'll try to take some useful measurements.

Nice looking! Now I see how to get around the exhaust - thanks!
Brian
"Remember, I'm pulling for you - we're all in this together!"
Quoted from Red Green of Possum Lodge

When you get older, lack of pep is often mistaken for patience.

(1956 and 1948 Cubs)

FCUBMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
1 Simplicity
1 Craftsman
1 Tiger

Postby FCUBMAN » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:11 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I believe the original poster stated that when he tightened the sediment bowl far enough to not leak, it was turned to the point that the line hit the rear of the engine.

Hi,
The bowl was hitting the edge of of the head and was being pushed sideways enough to come off of the rubber gasket, causing a really large leak. I turned the assembly so the bowl and the bail would clear the obstruction, and the leak stopped. The fuel line never was a problem, except that it didn't want to line up with the fuel line any more. George's picture shows a bit more room than I have. I think that I need to have a closer look at my situation - perhaps the tank is not sitting quite where it should be. Maybe something is bent somewhere... :?

(1956 and 1948 Cubs)

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:36 am

FCUBMAN wrote:
John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I believe the original poster stated that when he tightened the sediment bowl far enough to not leak, it was turned to the point that the line hit the rear of the engine.

Hi,
The bowl was hitting the edge of of the head and was being pushed sideways enough to come off of the rubber gasket, causing a really large leak. I turned the assembly so the bowl and the bail would clear the obstruction, and the leak stopped. The fuel line never was a problem, except that it didn't want to line up with the fuel line any more. George's picture shows a bit more room than I have. I think that I need to have a closer look at my situation - perhaps the tank is not sitting quite where it should be. Maybe something is bent somewhere... :?

FCM,

I see now.

There are a couple possible solutions to the problem of the outlet pointing the wrong direction. The easiest would be to try a different sediment bowl. They are not all the same and a different one could tighten in a different place. Another thing that has worked for me is to modify the threads in the tank VERY SLIGHTLY with a 3/8" pipe tap. Be prepared to use the tap a couple times, only tapping a very little at a time. You certainly wouldn't want to enlarge the hole too much with the tapered tap. :(

Caution: The threads should never be tightened beyond the point where you want it to end up. Backing up will almost always cause a leak.
George Willer

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:03 am

FCUBMAN wrote:

Hi,

Is it possible you have an after market sediment bowl assembly ro possibly one form a Ford that is wider than the original?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

FCUBMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
1 Simplicity
1 Craftsman
1 Tiger

Postby FCUBMAN » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:08 am

Hi,
The bowl was hitting the edge of of the head and was being pushed sideways enough to come off of the rubber gasket, causing a really large leak. I turned the assembly so the bowl and the bail would clear the obstruction, and the leak stopped. The fuel line never was a problem, except that it didn't want to line up with the fuel line any more. George's picture shows a bit more room than I have. I think that I need to have a closer look at my situation - perhaps the tank is not sitting quite where it should be. Maybe something is bent somewhere... :?[/quote]

FCM,

I see now.

There are a couple possible solutions to the problem of the outlet pointing the wrong direction. The easiest would be to try a different sediment bowl. They are not all the same and a different one could tighten in a different place. Another thing that has worked for me is to modify the threads in the tank VERY SLIGHTLY with a 3/8" pipe tap. Be prepared to use the tap a couple times, only tapping a very little at a time. You certainly wouldn't want to enlarge the hole too much with the tapered tap. :(

Caution: The threads should never be tightened beyond the point where you want it to end up. Backing up will almost always cause a leak.[/quote]

<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>

Gotcha - thanks!

(1956 and 1948 Cubs)

FCUBMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
1 Simplicity
1 Craftsman
1 Tiger

Postby FCUBMAN » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:12 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:
FCUBMAN wrote:

Hi,

Is it possible you have an after market sediment bowl assembly ro possibly one form a Ford that is wider than the original?

<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>

It's possible, but if so, it's been on there a long time from the look of it. It is also the kind that you need to back out the valve so that it can backseat so it doesn't leak when open, so it seems like the genuine article. Of course, it could be an old aftermarket unit. I won't know more until I get out there and look tomorrow. Work just keeps getting in the way of the really important things! Retirement, here I come - soon, maybe :D

(1956 and 1948 Cubs)

Return to “Farmall Cub”