This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Electrolysis Technique!!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

New Electrolysis Technique!!

Postby Paul_NJ » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:14 pm

You guys have got to check this out. Currently trying to fix up an old metal lathe someone gave me, I found this home machinist's forum, and stumbled upon this technique. Wonder how it would work on large tractor sheetmetal surfaces that can't fit in one of our tanks?

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Machining/QuickTricks/RustRemoval/rustremoval.html
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:25 pm

Paul:

Might work, might not.

I guess depends on how big the sheet metal part is, how many planes on it that need to have the overlay sheet bent to fit... that would be the big impediment I think. and how to keep the overlay tight enough to form to the surface. I don't think I will be using that on my saw table or jointer table anytime soon.. I think the old ways.. a little elbow grease, steel wool, and parafin wax will do for my machinery surfaces..

and if you cannot find a 400 gallon tank :
to dunk your large tractor part in.. :!: :wink: :lol:

However, thank you for the http://www.frets.com link.. that will come in handy as Kristina and I play with building guitars...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:06 pm

Yeah, you're right Rudi. It's a novel idea, but the more I thought about it the more impractical and ineffective (for "real" rust) it sounded.

What I really would like to find is some sort of plastic tank that is rectangular . . . something 3 feet wide, 3 feet high, and 6-8 inches deep. Something I can get the fenders and hood of my 340 into next spring. Any ideas?

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub purchased 1960
'59 International Lo-Boy purchased 1987
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle

Postby Gary S. » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:15 pm

Paul- I've also thought about different tanks and was wondering why not make one out of some sort of wooden frame work or some sort of plywood box and lining it with some heavy plastic?

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:32 pm

Gary

I always get stuck figuring out how you would seal the seams?

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:35 pm

Maing thing would be to keep it wet with solution.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:45 pm

How about using either a small preformed plastic pond or sheet of pond liner material? The liner could be draped over the frame and corners wouldn't matter.

Bob

rondellh
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rondellh » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:25 am

You could always make a redneck swimming pool to use as an electrolysis tank. Throw a blue tarp in the back of your pickup truck box and fill her up with solution. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rondell

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:48 am

Gary,

A guy I knew years ago had built an aquarium (a BIG one) using plywood. Painted the interior with an epoxy paint. Didn't leak a drop for years! Might have potential for those wanting a shallow tank that is wide and long.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:35 am

Paul_NJ wrote:Yeah, you're right Rudi. It's a novel idea, but the more I thought about it the more impractical and ineffective (for "real" rust) it sounded.

What I really would like to find is some sort of plastic tank that is rectangular . . . something 3 feet wide, 3 feet high, and 6-8 inches deep. Something I can get the fenders and hood of my 340 into next spring. Any ideas?

Paul:

My local feed store has stuff like that. Also you can buy these rectangular in-ground pool liners that would be pretty much ideal, and not priced to empty your wallet, just put a large ding in it. They make them with heavier extruded PVC's as well. I think it will just be a matter of looking.

The tank pictured above is almost twice that size.. and if it was on it's side, it would probably be similar to what you are looking for. They do come in various sizes/capacities, this one is 400 Imperial gallons. 200 Imperial gallons might be what you are looking for. Check with your local stove oil dealers, they may have a few hanging around that no longer can be used for stove oil but may be still well suited for an electrolysis tank. What I like about the one I got from my father-in-law, was that it is narrow enough that it will not take up a lot of room in my shop.

Oh, and I solved the hydrogen off-gassing problem too! Will be putting up pics as soon as the new pole barn is finished and the tanks are running... sometimes old computer parts are quite useful :!: :idea: :!: :!:

As for availability of tubs and stuff that could be used for this little project.. even cement mixing tubs such as:
from Argee Corp could be useful, or an old one from a brick laying company etc. These come in different sizes and weights...

or maybe something like this is more what you are thinking.. but it is deeper than 6 inches and it isn't cheap..
Mixing Tub

I did about 6 searches so far.. but I imagine a few more might result in finding what you are looking for. Hope this helps a tad...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:27 pm

I think the towel and sheet method would work well for some situations. Although it will probably work best if the overlay sheet is a fairly close match for the part being cleaned, I bet it isn't all that critical. As long as the towel is wet and in contact, the piece will probably clean up. It seems analogous to the concern of maintaining line of sight between the anode and the part being cleaned in a tank.

Here is another thought on building a tank. You can get shower lining material in building supply stores. It is heavy plastic and something like 5 feet wide in long roles. You buy it by the foot. If it isn't wide enough, you can glue 2 sections together. Look here to see that the liner looks like.

http://www.extremehowto.com/xh/article. ... e_id=60342

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:14 pm

what about old bath tubs? many fo them are fiberglass, and would need supported.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Re: New Electrolysis Technique!!

Postby clodhopper » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:05 pm

or a cheapo plastic wading pool :o

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Re: New Electrolysis Technique!!

Postby Bigdog » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:10 pm

Guys - this is a 5 year-old thread in which the original link does not work. I am locking it to prevent further confusion. I believe all the other discussion on electrolysis can be found in several threads by using the search feature of the forum.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”