This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Snow Finally/reverse gear

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
siii8873
10+ Years
10+ Years

Snow Finally/reverse gear

Postby siii8873 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:54 pm

We finally got enough snow (~4") to plow. The cub did great pushing the snow. I did have to take the skid shoes off. With the skids all the wasy up I was leavin over 1-1/2" snow. I did not have any trouble controlling my depth without them.
The one thing that bothered me was that there was quite a bit of gear noise when going uphill in reverse. And it seemed to start after I had been running the tractor for a while. I did notice this to a lesser amount this summer when doing some grading on flat ground. Again after the tractor had been running for a while.
Anyhow I like the way it pushes snow. And it has great tracction even on the uphill of the driveway. Sure beats the John Deere 110 I was using!!
"May the current be with you and the wind at your back"

rick 48 cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rick 48 cub » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:38 pm

Check transmission fluid level ?
Rick 1948 cub

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:48 pm

There's always going to be some gear noise, as the Cub's gears are "straight-cut." Both mine are noisiest in reverse, slightly less noisy in 1st, fairly quiet in 2nd, and completely silent in 3rd.

siii8873
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby siii8873 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:19 pm

I checked the level and if anything it was a little high as fluid ran out of the level plug. The fluid was a brown color and thick so I drained it. Should I flush the case with something before refilling it?
It's hard to tell if this noise is normal. The tranny sounded good for at least the first 1/2 hour, (most of this was backing on nearly level ground). Then it is suddenly louder and there almost all the time when under some additional load like backing uphill. There is no noise at all in any forward gears.
Is it typical to have a significant noise increase under load in reverse?
I'll change the fluid and run it a little to see if it changes anything.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:29 pm

siii8873:

Personally, I have taken the advice given to me by many of the forum members in the past, and put kerosene in the tranny. Then I drive around with it for a while.. 1/2 hour to an hour maybe. Then I drain, flush with clean kerosene again, then refill to the correct level with SAE90 Wt as per the Lubrication Chart on Page 17 of the Owner's Manual.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Rubee
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rubee » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:23 am

Both of my cubs have noisey trannys also with the noise varying with the gear it is in and whether going up or down a hill. If yours gets noisier after a half hour or so of running , it might just be the old tranny fluid warming up and thinning out. Changing to fresh fluid should help.

siii8873
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby siii8873 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:11 am

Rubee,
I think this might be the problem. I drained the fluid and it did not look good at all, brown color not gear oil color.

Has anyone ever added drains on the final drives for changing that fluid? I have not done these yet because it is a bigger than needed to be job.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:23 am

siii8873 wrote:Rubee,
I think this might be the problem. I drained the fluid and it did not look good at all, brown color not gear oil color.

Has anyone ever added drains on the final drives for changing that fluid? I have not done these yet because it is a bigger than needed to be job.

Adding drains would be pretty easy, but then it would be possible to knock them loose and lose the lube without knowing it. :( That's how I lost a Mercedes diesel engine --- from a wiped out drain plug. Not good! :(
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

siii8873
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby siii8873 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:18 pm

George,
that was my thought also "knocking them off" was the reason there were none to start with and given the location where they would need to be and the intended use of these tractors.
I am finding out that the previous owner of my tractor did not do a whole lot of maintenance. All I have left are the final drives. It look like these are not going to be easy. There is a ton of sealant around them amd I'm concerned with deforming the pans when removing them. Plus I would like to do a more complete teardown of the entire final drive units including replacing seals, clean up of the parts and painting. Right now I need this tractor as it is my plowing machine. Maybe I'll get some gaskets (look like rubber impegnated cork on TM's site coul make them) and do just an oil change if I get a warm weekend. That old gear oil doesn't pour or drain well in cold weather.