This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Steering Wheel

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Steering Wheel

Postby Donny M » Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:47 pm

The kids bought me an after market replacement steering wheel for Rose. The keyway cut in the hub is under sized :shock:
The key is .250" and the keyway is .229". Anyone had the same problem :?:
8)

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Steering Wheel

Postby George Willer » Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:17 pm

Donny M wrote:The kids bought me an after market replacement steering wheel for Rose. The keyway cut in the hub is under sized :shock:
The key is .250" and the keyway is .229". Anyone had the same problem :?:
8)

No, but I know the easiest solution. Modify a key. Rose should definitely have that steering wheel.

I have an easy way to modify the keyway but it also requires a milling machine. :( I make single point broaches to make internal keyways from scratch... a time consuming process. The same broach could enlarge the keyway... but I don't have one for a 3/4" shaft.

OH! Modifying either the key or keyway is one of the jobs that a shaper could do, as asked in an earlier thread. :lol:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:40 pm

.021 isn't a big difference (except, of course, when you try to install it). Just to state the obvious, make sure there aren't any big sloppy burrs in the slot. Also check it from both ends to see if they managed to cut it on a taper as well. That much difference seems within range of a file.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:41 pm

:idea: I would use a hacksaw and a file. :P
Then came Bronson

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:55 pm

Jim Becker wrote:.021 isn't a big difference (except, of course, when you try to install it). Just to state the obvious, make sure there aren't any big sloppy burrs in the slot. Also check it from both ends to see if they managed to cut it on a taper as well. That much difference seems within range of a file.

I measured the complete length of the keyway in the hub. It's very precise for the entire length. No burrs, or other distortions. As for using a "Donny's End Mill" (a file :lol: :lol: ) I'll do that to the key and not the keyway.
I can fix this with no problem, I was just wondering if someone else has had this problem. By experience, I know the vendor wouldn't sell something that didn't fit. And if others have had this problem we should alert the vendor.
8)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:40 pm

Donny M wrote:By experience, I know the vendor wouldn't sell something that didn't fit. And if others have had this problem we should alert the vendor.
8)

I'd let him know in any case. You may have #1 of a bad batch. He would rather know before sending out more with the same problem.

Snyder
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48114

Postby Snyder » Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:36 pm

I just had the same problem with one I bought on Ebay. Sent it back and the replacement wheel they sent fit just fine.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:42 pm

Used a "Donny's End Mill" on the key and the new steering wheel is now sitting pretty on Rose :lol:
I also sent the vendor an e-mail with the details. It frustrating sometimes that you have to modify something that's brand new :!: But look at the fun I had :wink:
8)

Ralph
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 41005
Tractors Owned: Near 200 cubs through the years

Postby Ralph » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:43 pm

I ordered a steering wheel from tisco a couple years ago and it had the same prob i just took the old Bastard File to it :wink:
Shoot low Sherriff they are Riding Shadows
4 Wheels move the body.....
2 Wheels move the Soul .....

Ralph in ky.

kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Postby kinelbor » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:06 pm

I had the same problem with the wheel I ordered this year, just a little filling of the old key and good to go.
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub