This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

? wrong generator

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
2 Busy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 2 Busy » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:33 am

Well i have it to where it will work although it may not be correct. I made a mounting bracket just like the original and a regulator ( this regulator will not mount on the genny, wrong mount on it) and coil bracket. Due to the pulley sticking out to far forward i used some washers and longer bolts to offset the generator back to where the pulleys would line up.

Dad picked up a 1/2"x22" belt and installed it,(still too long) for the brace bracket to reach. So i put the brace off a B that was long enough to reach the genny brace Tab. Even though this has the correct number on the generator there is still something not right. Dad says the front face plate must of been changed.

Bill E Bob, on your 48 does the nut stick out the front pretty far on your Gen. I know this is the wrong pulley ,but if it had the correct, one the nut would stick out pretty far.

I think i'll leave it as it is for now, unless i come across the correct Gen/pulley cheap.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bill E Bob » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:57 pm

2 Busy,

Yep, the pulley shaft nut on the gennie tightens up to the pulley face
and (if memory serves me) it is a castellated nut with a cotter pin
to help keep it from coming loose.

Bill

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:05 am

Yikes, two of us in the market for a generator... Guess I missed that it was off a 48 not a 12v one.

The gen on my 49 is wrong and has a broken ear, with a gaffed bracket. I am going to run it without for a while I think. Too poor to buy one. Ralph has one for $80, very good price! He also has the brackets for $8 also a very good price.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Bu ... 2Small.jpg

I matched the belt on with the IH number at NAPA. But it was green:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Bu ... 5cbfb2.jpg
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:15 am

2 Busy,

Most likely all you need is the pulley. On an H or an M, the pulley is adjustable to tighten the belt, so it is quite thick and sticks way out in front of the generator, by about an inch as I recall. I think the pulley on a Cub is just a regular pulley.

Does your pulley have large threads on it? That means the back half threads away from the front half.

If you have the bracket off your Dad's 1974 to compare, don't you have the generator? The pulley on his 1974 should be "right" so any differences between his and yours should be obvious.

2 Busy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 2 Busy » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:34 am

Matt,
this pulley and generator looks just like the ones on my super A's. it sticks out about 2 1/2 from the face plat on the gen. I built a bracket using the 74 as a pattern, same shape with the same bends. His gen was a 12 volt with the cooling fan on it. I didn't really pay attention to his pulley at the time. His tractor is about 10 miles from me.

I actually think the gen may of been peiced together , as the ear that the brace attaches to is still in the wrong position. I put the 1/2 x 22 belt on and with the right brace it was still too long. I ran out of brace before the belt got tight. So i had a spare brace off a B that was long enough to use. Even with the right pulley the correct brace is too short.

I just don't know why this generator doesnt fit right besides having the wrong pulley. according to the number it was correct for this year model.

This pulley is not adjustable.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:55 am

2 Busy wrote: This pulley is not adjustable.

There's confusion about the H and M pulley. The adjustable pulley is on the water pump, not the generator. It's to adjust the other belt from the crank pulley and the generator belt adjusts normally. It's the thickness of the driving pulley that makes the different generator pulley necessary for alignment. The super A may very well use the same generator pulley as the H and M.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:51 am

This is out of the H Parts Catalog.

http://www.messicks.com/nhimage.aspx?imageid=40176

2 Busy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 2 Busy » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:03 am

This pulley does not look like that. This one is 1 peice, although it does have a long neck facing towards the gen. the nut is not flush with the pulley but recessed out of sight.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:21 am

Your description sounds like the A/B generator pulley.
http://www.messicks.com/nhimage.aspx?imageid=251107

2 Busy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 2 Busy » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:47 pm

that is the one. where are you finding those pictures? Like i said it looks just like the ones on my super a's. But the gen ear that the brace bolts to is still to far forward to use a cub brace. even though the numbers are correct for this year model cub it will not work with a 74 model cub brace.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:28 pm

2 Busy wrote:where are you finding those pictures?

I went to http://www.messicks.com/ and used their on-line parts catalog. When I found the picture I wanted, copied the url of the picture. I put them in as links rather than images so we wouldn't be banging Messick's server every time somebody pulls up this thread.

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839

Postby muleboss » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:21 pm

I think the problem with the ears in the wrong direction is that they are not straight across from each other. On a cub they turn in to reach the tightening arm, same on an A or B When you mount on the opposite side of tractor the ears stick out , thus the brackets are not long enough. My guess is you are trying to put a generator from an A or B on a Cub. Just a guess. The pulley you described is the same as on my A.

Return to “Farmall Cub”