This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Down Pressure on L54A Blade

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Down Pressure on L54A Blade

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:19 pm

Having determined that I will not be doing a major engine overhaul on the Loboy this winter, I put the front blade on it yesterday.

Running the blade up and down to test my setup, I noticed that my new fast hitch is only halfway down when the blade hits on level ground. The only way to get the fast hitch low enough to scoop a trailer up with the ball hitch is to compress the spring on the front blade quite signfigantly.

What I am wondering is, how much down pressure can you put on the blade without blowing the hydraulics? Is it kosher to push down on the blade like that to get it to dig in?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

wvpolekat
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wvpolekat » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:47 pm

Well, here is my $1.05 on this.

I dont think that the hydraulics will be your worry, the relief valve will take care of that.

I think the bigger concern would be the stress you are putting on the cub depending on where the blade mounts and such.
49 Super A (Tinker) 47 Ford 2N (Cricket)
----------------------------------------------------------
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby gitractorman » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:51 pm

Matt,
I would not put too much down pressure on that blade, as it and the linkage to the cub are really not designed to handle too much. I have the same problem with mine mounted in the grader position. I just put my trailer jacks on blocks of wood, so I can crank them up high enough to get the hitch under it. That is just one of the limitations of the cub. It was never meant to use two implements at once, so there is no way to adjust something mounted on the front, so that it agrees with something mounted on the back.

Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:20 pm

My orginal 154 snowplow setup does have a down pressure spring and adjustment. I figure that the orginal blade was so light in weight it needed a down pressure spring to make it stay on the ground so it wouldn't rise up. You/we know when the snowplow rises all of a sudden when your pushing a large amount of snow you can bet the blade will sink itself right into the deepest spot in the snow. Then your stuck, i had a jeep that would do just that. The main thing is to push snow very slow so that can't happen. When your pushing snow fast it happens that quick, so you can't stop in time to catch it. I don't plan on using the down pressure spring yet unless it does bounce up on its own, but i may add it for leveling the stone driveway and pushing a little dirt.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03574
eBay ID: farmallkid48
Skype Name: farmall_kid
Tractors Owned: 41 B
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
61 and 63 Cub Cadet Originals
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:31 am

I'v put mine down all the way before, whether grading dirt/stone or snow, and I have had no problem, have you moved the lift rod above the spring up/down? If i remember right, on mine there are like 3 holes, i move mine all the time for different stuff...

just my 2 cents

Johnny

TrainsNTractors
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TrainsNTractors » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:43 am

Take out the top lifting A on the blade and replace it with a chain. You wont have any down pressure but now you can move the fast hitch and the front blade. Just be carful to use a long enough section of chain so when you pick up the blade all the way it does not hit the front cross member.
Dan

Return to “Farmall Cub”