This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

starter question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
prjones
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08848
Tractors Owned: 58 Cub
59 Loboy
73 Cub blue&orange
107 Cub Cadet
IH 340 Utility
Kubota L3800
Gravely 566
Circle of Safety: Y

starter question

Postby prjones » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:54 pm

After switching starters between tractors. I realize I have a bad starter. I took starter apart but do not know what to look for. There does not appear to be too many parts. If anyone has pictures of good and bad starter or can tell me what could be wrong would be appreciated.
Also any help on where to puchase or have repaired would be appreciated.The only one I found was $233 plus shipping. thanks
All hat and no cattle.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:20 pm

Check with our site sponsors, TM Tractor or Ralphs Cubs. If you are looking for a quality used starter. Or check with CUBGUY47 he may even have one. I got one from him, rebuilt for around $135 i think. You should be able to take yours to a auto electric shop and have it rebuilt. $50-75 probably. I have had all mine rebuilt, only one exceed that price, it came in at $125, for a complete rebuild. But eventually i ended up replacing that starter anyway. just to far gone i guess. :(

John

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:55 pm

Your local telephone book should list a starter alternater or starter generator shop.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:59 pm

Not all Starter shops are equal. Mr Starter here in town.. Nope, not a chance I would give him one of mine to play with.. The AC Delco Authorized Repair Depot.. NOW that is a different story. These guys know what they are doing... course.. they are all my age and older.. so they would know what a starter is, a Magneto and a Cut-Out for a Generator too.. plus they will talk to you.

Mr. Starter.. all lip no brains... and none of my stuff to work on :!: :D :wink: :lol:

Talk to em before you leave your starter. Find out if they actually know about the older stuff ... If he says there never was a 6 volt positive ground system.. hold your starter close to you and run fast.. away from that shop.. :roll: :roll:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:12 pm

One thing I didn't see mentioned among the recommendations to take it to a starter shop is the fact that you may not be able to "see" what's wrong. Burned windings and/or commutator generally don't show up on a visual inspection.

I recommend either a rebuilt starter or having yours rebuilt. If you choose to have yours rebuilt, you run the risk of finding out the commutator is worn out or the windings are burned, and then you have to pay the starter shop for their work, PLUS you have to buy another starter. Adding insult to injury, I am not sure your old starter is any good for a core return after it's been torn apart and deemed junk...

prjones
10+ Years
10+ Years
59 Loboy
73 Cub blue&orange
107 Cub Cadet
IH 340 Utility
Kubota L3800
Gravely 566

Postby prjones » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:29 am

thanks for responses. A neighbor who is into antique cars gave me number of someone local who works out of his house. I will call him after the holidays.
This starter would turn over very slow and only start tractor when hit with jumper. So I am hoping it can be rebilt. Have seen some used starters on ebay may try that before spending 200.
All hat and no cattle.

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:47 am

That could be a couple of thaings from a dirty communitator and or bad brushes to burnt out windings. On mine the wire to one brush was pinched in the rear cover and shorted out. Loosing half its power. Its not too hard to pull it apart sand the communitator clean the grooves and check the brushes. might save you some money. When you put it together lightly push it together when the brush touches the communitator use a small screwdriver and lift the brush up onto the communitator. And wach that you do not have wire pinched as you tighten it up.

Good luck Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Bob Grieb
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bob Grieb » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:41 am

My starter would barley turn the engine over and I thought the battery was weak. After I determined the battery was good I performed the tasks outlined by Cowboy and it now works fine. :D :D :D

Good Luck

Bob
Its not too hard to pull it apart sand the communitator clean the grooves and check the brushes. might save you some money. When you put it together lightly push it together when the brush touches the communitator use a small screwdriver and lift the brush up onto the communitator.

prjones
10+ Years
10+ Years
59 Loboy
73 Cub blue&orange
107 Cub Cadet
IH 340 Utility
Kubota L3800
Gravely 566

Postby prjones » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:25 pm

Thanks Cowboy, you were right. Had starter apart took steel wheel and wd40 and cleaned everything I could then took razor knife and cleaned groves also cleaned any contacts I could find, tractor started right up.
I cannot tell you how much I apreciate the help I get here. I am no mechanic about the only thing I have ever done is changed oil or spark plugs till I got these Cubs. Sometimes I think I am asking stupid questions but I always get answers without feeling stupid (hope that makes sense).
Happy Holidays to all. Phil
All hat and no cattle.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:23 pm

Phil you do not ask stupid questions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only stupid question is the one you think of and don't ask. The minute you ask it it is no longer stupid.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:34 am

8) Cool I love it when a plan comes together :!: I am glad I was able to help out :!:

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

moe1942
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71303
Tractors Owned: 1-69 Cub

5- Cub Cadets

Postby moe1942 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:43 am

Worn bushings are a major cause of dragging starters also. Replaced many in Delco starters. A good preventive measure when going into a starter. A few more bucks will save a lot of headaches and extra work.

Return to “Farmall Cub”