This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Dirty "Gunky" Engine

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI
Circle of Safety: Y

Dirty "Gunky" Engine

Postby BIGHOSS » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:49 am

"Uncle Bob" had a leaky head bolt, so I removed the head. Even thought he was running pretty good when I begin the restore, I need some advice as what to do next.
Remember. I am not a mechanic. I have already done more to this engine than I ever have in 68 years of age and I am just getting started.

I have pulled the head, manifold, oil pan and valve cover. I don't see how an engine could be dirtier than this. Lots of sludge, crud, rust build up and gunk. I haven't cleaned anything yet as I am waiting for a friend of mine who used to own the local IH dealership to look at what I have. The valves look pretty good with no burning or pitting. The engine was overhauled several years ago with very little use since. The cylinder walls look and feel very good.

The questions I have are:

What is the best way to clean the sludge from engine? Flush it from top down through crankcase? What with? Diesel fuel? Kerosene?

Should I remove valves and springs?

What about oil pump? With the pan off, is the pump hard to remove and clean?

Some of your advice may be to take to machine shop for degreasing, dye check and magnaflux, etc. I am retired and on a limited income, so money is an issue.

Remember. I am not a mechanic

I do have most of the manuals.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:13 am

:idea: Since you already have the innards pretty much exposed I would just physically clean out what you can using what tools you desire with Elbow Grease. Then I would put it back together and run it with 30# detergent motor oil. Keep checking the oil and when it shows dirty give it about 3 quick oil changes after dirty oil checks. I do this and it cleans itself out. :P
Then came Bronson

Clem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48463
Tractors Owned: 1956 FAST HITCH CUB
MODEL 10 CUB TRAILER
2 1950 Demonstrators

Postby Clem » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:23 am

Be very carefull cleaning the cylinder walls, you do not wnat to score them. A good kerosene soak works well, followed by using a soft brass brush scrubbing or a dish scrubber. I spray the valves and hard to reach places with carb cleaner in the can. SeaFoam also cleans parts very easily. Let the chemicals do the work.

magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magnumpi » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:34 am

Another good aerosol can cleaner is brake cleaner. Loosens lots of stuff and evaporates very quickly.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:56 am

Oven cleaner
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:21 pm

David Bennett wrote:Oven cleaner
David

///////////////

:shock: For external cleaning only. Do not use oven cleaner on any aluminum parts as it will mar or destroy them. I have found Oven cleaner to work the best on the engine as a final de-greasing just before painting. :P
Then came Bronson

magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magnumpi » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:20 pm

Remember, the active cleaning ingredient in oven cleaner is lye !! It eats aluminum big time. I'd never use it internally and carefully externally. The problem is it works best above 65 degrees and in a closed environment. Cast iron collectors clean it with oven cleaner, but the spray the piece and then put it in a plastic bag and seal it up. Tough on one's lungs as well.

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:59 pm

Hey BIGHOSS, you say." in 68 years of age and I am just getting started. ". 8) 8) 8) 8) .

I'm not a mechanic either. I did just about what you have done to my old '47, just because I wanted to take it apart and see. I went about as far as i felt safe :roll:. Everything was clean inside, and the little Cub ran perfect , so why mess with anything. I agree with what johnbron said too. A few fast oil changes will clean Uncle Bob out :wink:

What happened to all that money you got from selling that Cub tachometer on ebay last year :lol: :lol:
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer