This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need Some Opinions please !

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Need Some Opinions please !

Postby magnumpi » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:15 am

I'm looking semi-seriously at the '51 w/loader listed several days ago by a site sponsor. I'd use it primarily for snow removal when I'm not fiddling with it (not much fiddling this AM - 1 F !!) My question is simply this: Is a Cub husky enough to handle the loads a bucket full of snow would place on it ?? Springtime wet snow is another issue altogether. Thanks as always, Craig

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:30 am

Craig:

The Cub can handle a fair amount of work with the loader but it isn't a JCB backhoe or a JD644D loader. Operate within its envelope with care and prudence and the Cub can handle snow very well. I use a hefty blade designed for another tractor, and it works nicely... but use care.

Snow can get very heavy, especially the wet stuff. But gaining seat time, and not lifting more than is recommended, as in taking smaller bites will help. Remember that the Cub has weak points and the loader will stress it. However, the loader has been used successfully by many Cub owners for over 50 years... so with prudence, it is quite a rig..

Rick Prentice can offer lots of valuable insight here as can George and others with loaders. Their adivce will be invaluable.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:08 am

Hi Craig.
Yep, I agree with Rudi. It mainly depends what type of individual you are :shock: . Do you do things in a hurry, take chances, have a tendency to break things :D , or are you level headed and take your time.

I think the biggest reason Cubs get "BROKE" when they have a loader installed is because of being in a hurry when transporting a load and you hit something or the tire falls into a hole, then you here the snap of a casting(usually the rt ear on the engine).

If you respect the small size of the cub, like Rudi stated, and think of how much time and energy you're saving by not using your back and a shovel, then you'll be just fine and fall in love with the set-up.

My .02, I know others will dissagree, but that's ok, I won't sell them my backhoe cub :D

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:35 am

I agree, if used judiciously it would be a good set-up. That is a pretty fair sized bucket on that loader and could be overloaded with a heavy material such as wet snow. By next winter I plan to have my loader on one of the cubs. The bucket on my loader is quite small which will make it more difficult (but not impossible) to overload.
Either way, It would be a desireable purchase. Just use it with care.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

evielboweviel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43130
eBay ID: evilboweviel

Postby evielboweviel » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:01 pm

The 1000 loader on the cub will handle dirt and stone with no problem both will outweigh snow even wet snow is not as heavy as wet clay. With that said there is also a manure fork for the cub now that would be easy to overload and break something.
MAIN THING IS DO NOT TRY TO LOWER THE LOADER WITH A FULL LOAD, ONLY DUMP IT WHEN IT IS FULL
If you try to lower a full load with any loader it will be jerky and throw a stress on that it can not handle. Seen JD construction equipment broken same way. So raise move into postion and dump the load. Do not move any farther then necessary with loader up in the air or expect the tractor to be laying on its side
Ron

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:43 pm

The problem I see with the tractor you are inquiring about is that it will need at least 2 sets of wheel weights to be able to move any weight you would put in the bucket. Without the wheel weights it will just be a nice tractor with a nice loader. IH recomends that you add 500# on the rear of the tractor when you mount a loader on a cub
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:32 pm

Keep in mind that this loader attaches to the front/side implement mounting points. As I recall, it does not have a frame connecting to the final drives. As such, it probably needs to be handled with much more caution that is required with a model 1000 loader.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:52 am

One must realize the tractors limitations too. Plus i never beat my machines nor push them past there limits. When i plow with my willy's i just about push snow at an idle very slowly and carefully this way the machine will last longer. The proper thing with pushing or using the front loader is having extra weight in the right places and maybe tire chains too.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:36 pm

I never would have thought what I would do with a loader until I got one. Here It is lifting some pallet racking off the trailer. The uprights are 20' and weigh about 100LB. a section. I found out that 1 set of wheel weights will not be enough weight for counter balance.

Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:00 pm

IH recommends 2 sets of weights on the rear, I think 3 sets are be better.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Return to “Farmall Cub”