This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tired Tires

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
new2cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Tired Tires

Postby new2cub » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:18 pm

My lil' Cub needs new rubber maybe? The tires are old and getting dry cracked bad. I was wondering if anyone has ever put any wider or larger tire on ther Cub. I noticed you can get an industrial tread in a 14.9-24. Just widen the rear rim and wow what a foot print. Would the drivetrain even stand up to more meat on it?? Any thoughts guys??

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby gitractorman » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:26 pm

I'm not sure the 14.9 x 24 tires would work to well on the cub. The drivetrain should be able to handle them, but the tires are not just wider, they are quite a bit taller too. If you have a belly mower, you could really run into problems leveling the deck, and maybe even hitting the deck with the tire.

If your tires are just cracked, you may want to hang on to them for a while. My 77 cub has the original tires, which were cracked a bit. My dad told me about an old farmer's trick, rub the tires down with vegetable oil on a rag. Really slop the stuff on, and let it soak in. Wouldn't you know, most of those cracks filled right up and disappeared. I did have the opportunity first to remove the tires from the rims and inspect the inside of them. They looked like brand new on the inside, so new tubes, vegetable oil, and the're back to work for another 30 years.

If you really want new tires though, check out http://www.millertire.com, or do a search for Tucker Tire on e-bay. Both carry a huge selection of tires for the cub.

Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:30 pm

Hi new2cub

That 14.9 must be a mistake. I have seen it before. But a super A we have only has 11.5x24's on itAnd that is 1/3 larger than a cub. I have 9.5x24's on my cub and I am very happy with them.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:40 pm

If you are changing them because you don't like the looks, go ahead, but if you are worried about them failing because of the age cracks, they will last a long time. When i bought my 48 around 20 years ago the tires were so badly cracked you could see the cord in places nearly a 1/4 inch wide. I took them to a local shop to get some leaks fixed, and while I was there asked about the price of new ones figuring I would need them before long. The dealer said they would last quite a while, but I didn't think so. I was right, about 8 years later they failed.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

rustynuts
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rustynuts » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:01 pm

I've heard that before John, them dealers just ain't what they are "CRACKED" up to be!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Most of the time a little common sense will tell ya better just like in your case!.........Bill
* If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'.

new2cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Nice info

Postby new2cub » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:06 pm

Thanks for the info. I was just looking for something a little meater than the skinny minnies.I my back yard and other areas I will be using the Cub are usually pretty mushy.I was looking for something a little wider since the liitl guy doesn't way much.I will try the vegetable oil trick. That sounds interesting.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Re: Tired Tires

Postby George Willer » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:35 pm

new2cub wrote:My lil' Cub needs new rubber maybe? The tires are old and getting dry cracked bad. I was wondering if anyone has ever put any wider or larger tire on ther Cub. I noticed you can get an industrial tread in a 14.9-24. Just widen the rear rim and wow what a foot print. Would the drivetrain even stand up to more meat on it?? Any thoughts guys??

Those tires sound like something for a smaller backhoe, especially with an industrial tread.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:11 pm

rustynuts wrote:I've heard that before John, them dealers just ain't what they are "CRACKED" up to be!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Most of the time a little common sense will tell ya better just like in your case!.........Bill
I think you missed my point, they lasted another 8 years after i thought they were shot.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Lawrence McGlohon
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Lawrence McGlohon » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:43 am

I've got a Super A with the AV high clearance front axle and 14.9 x 24 ag rear tires. This combination makes it sit pretty much level, but I can only get it in to 48" centers. Kinda odd to try to make it match up to the rows we run on 44" with the 100 & 140 & that green thang that only runs on 2 cylinders. The PO made the change. The tin was straight & the $ was right so I got it. I think you may have a problem with plow arms or a mower deck hitting the larger dia. tires. If the tube ain't showing, run what you got. Hope this is helpful. Lawrence
'49 cub, '51 cub, '57 cub, '50 avery v

freebird
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby freebird » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:46 pm

I went up a size when I replaced mine last summer. The 9.5 x 24" worked real well in mud or snow.
Tell the truth, there's less to remember!

'52 standard cub
'56 lo-boy

rustynuts
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rustynuts » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:58 pm

I was joshin ya John!!!!!!Read it again..............Bill :lol: :lol:
* If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:13 pm

The 9.5's look like serious meats on the back of the cub. The add does say the 14.9 are cub tires. I would think you need wider rims. I was thinking of fabricating a front loader and backhoe for a 154 cub and the larger rear tires maybe needed to support the extra weight in soft ground areas. I wonder how the 14.9's look when compared to the 9.5's.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:04 am

It wouldn't be the first ad with mis-information. 14.9's on a set of 7"wide cub rims would be distorted terribly if you could even get them seated at all.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:37 am

Bigdog wrote:It wouldn't be the first ad with mis-information. 14.9's on a set of 7"wide cub rims would be distorted terribly if you could even get them seated at all.

Your right because 14.9 is actually the width thats 14.9" wide over the 8.3" and 9.5" wide. They would look silly on the 7" wide rims so larger rims would be needed i'm sure. The rim width should be almost the same as the tire width so the proper foot print on the ground is achieved otherwise its a waste of tire and $$. With my very high water table on my land i'm after flotation more than traction.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:04 pm

BigBill wrote:
Bigdog wrote:It wouldn't be the first ad with mis-information. 14.9's on a set of 7"wide cub rims would be distorted terribly if you could even get them seated at all.

Your right because 14.9 is actually the width thats 14.9" wide over the 8.3" and 9.5" wide. They would look silly on the 7" wide rims so larger rims would be needed i'm sure. The rim width should be almost the same as the tire width so the proper foot print on the ground is achieved otherwise its a waste of tire and $$. With my very high water table on my land i'm after flotation more than traction.

Bill,

What you really want for floatation is a pair of #405723R1 rims so you can mount 13.6-16 tires like most number series Cubs have. I think they are 11" wide.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Farmall Cub”