This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

oil sludge

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
capecodcub
10+ Years
10+ Years

oil sludge

Postby capecodcub » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:00 am

Gentlemen,
I changed my oil filter this weekend and realized that the bottom of the canister was covered in about 1/2" of sludge. Upon realizing that the canister drain was plugged, I started to clean that out and spray brake cleaner down it to help in flushing it out. Unfortunately, I wasn't spraying down the drain tube but the center hole which is either the supply to the filter or the exit! I also was pushing the sludge down the same hole assuming it was the drain. After realizing this, I pulled the oil pan off the engine and that too had sludge in it. My question is, where does that center hole go to and any potential problems with doing this? I have not added new oil yet. I am waiting for a new pan gasket to arrive so now would be the time to resolve any problems. Thanks for any help.
David
David Svarczkopf

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rick Prentice » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:30 am

Hi David. According to the manual. The hole in the exact center, which should be threaded for the long bolt/lid to screw into, drains back into the pan. The side cavity is the supply and comes from the main gallery that also feed the tappets, cam, and crank bearings.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:03 am

If I recall the manual suggests to clean with kero, with the swill draining into the pan or down the drain tube.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”