This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Paint Coats?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rustynuts
10+ Years
10+ Years

Paint Coats?

Postby rustynuts » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:09 pm

I finnaly bit the bullet while I have the Cub down changing the rear seal. I sand blasted and primed and painted the hood,dog legs,lights,fan shroud and misc. I used the hardener and had the finish room heated to 72 degrees. Wow did the paint come out flat and shine's like a new penny! My question is how many coats would be normal. This one is pretty thick but I didn't seem to use that much paint in my HVLP system when I shot it. Just about a pint plus 2 oz of hardener and 3or4 oz of reducer now I havent done the underside yet but It does look nice. I'm gonna shoot it again tomorrow or at least I plan on it. Or is it best to put one good coat on or 2 or more good coats on using the hardener? I got pleanty paint for the rest of the cub I shot my 8N with only one coat with out hardner and it came out real nice just was a job buffing it out but I don't think it shined like this does with nothing. Tickled :D .................Bill
* If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby gitractorman » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:40 pm

I'm sure you will get many different answers and kinds of advice here, but this is how my luck runs, so I thought I would share it.

Whenever I have sprayed something and have a really nice finish on it, I STOP. The reason is, as I have found, if I think I should put on another coat, or that I can get another coat to look even better, I typically screw something up and end up sanding it all back down and shooting it over again. I either get a run, or a drip falls out of the gun, or something. It never fails.

My back rims on my cub ended up with about 10 coats of paint, just for this reason. They looked great after the second coat, but I thought they could look better, so I sprayed a third coat, and it ended up full of bugs. Sanded it out, 4th coat had two runs in it. Sanded those out, 5th coat looked great, might as well finish spraying what is in the pot... drips of paint dribbled out of the vent on the gun and left big drops in the paint. On and on. I finally gave up.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

rustynuts
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rustynuts » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:04 am

Thanks. Sounds like my luck too. I think I'm gonna stick with the orginal plan and give it the second coat with the hardener. Thats why I was asking if it mattered on drying time on the second coat and if it was needed. Oh well its not gonna be a tralier queen anyway just a Cub plain and simple. Like the Farmer poem. ..............Bill

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:00 pm

I've never painted a Cub, when you spray the bottom you will probably have overspray on the top that will need to be blended in. two cents worth :D

Bill show some pictures please.

What is that a picture of on your aviter :?:
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:27 pm

Mike:

The pic on the avitar is 2 rusty hex nuts with rusty nuts emblazoned across....
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

rustynuts
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rustynuts » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:48 pm

I shot the second coat after a light wet sanding of 600. I spent the day removing stuff and sanding and painting. I got almost all of the sheet steel done along with most rolled steel even the seat pan. I shot this last batch with a little lower pressure and had very little overspray at all I think if I hang the hood from two places the underside should be no problem.

Mike, Rudi is right my wife thought that was funny two rusted up nuts and the screw laying there is for me screwin stuff up all of the time!!!

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:03 am

I used a regular spray gun and still used less that a quart of paint on Betsy. No runs, no drips, no errors on the first coat and I quit. I know my luck and I would have gotten a run if I had tried more. :lol:

rustynuts
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rustynuts » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:15 am

I have a HVLP turbine system for my business but I only spray water base clear coats thru the gun I didn't want to get color in the cup along with getting it out of everything so I bought an inexpencive HVLP air gun at cummings tools. It really worked good I did change an o ring on the cup connection to the gun. I like having the paint gravity feed I didn't bump nothing with the cup either. Easy to check fluid levels with nothing to drip everywhere. I noticed at the slower volume and with the regulator right after traps and filters I caught more water in the traps on the compressor I'm sure there is a reason but I didn't get any water spit and that was a good thing I have had that before on regular air guns. But all in all it was a good coupla days for me.

rustynuts
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rustynuts » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:08 pm

Image[/img]

At least the paint is smooth came out better than I had ever hoped for

sviennadan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby sviennadan » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:21 pm

Looks fabulous rustynuts!! I'd leave well enough alone. Let it dry for a coupla days before you try putting things back together; you don't want to scratch the finish when you're bolting it back up.
All this proves is that one gnome pounding on the keyboard for years still will not produce the works of Shakespeare.
No animals were hurt in the rending of this page, but 18 queries were mangled in about 3.874 seconds.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:24 pm

Very nice :!: :!:
8)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:59 pm

Bill:

Sure is purty! Nice Job :!: :D 8) 8)

Mike, Rudi is right my wife thought that was funny two rusted up nuts and the screw laying there is for me screwin stuff up all of the time!!!

I just can't help thinking that there is a double entendre in there somewhere :!: :roll: :shock: :? :D 8) :wink: :lol: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:06 pm

It looks like a nice job to me.
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

rustynuts
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rustynuts » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:33 pm

Thanks guys it means alot I think it is getting flater as it cures I brought the hood out of the finish room and it looks flatter today. Is that something that is normal with the hardener ? Image

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:17 am

Bill 8) 8) 8) Looks great

Bill. do you know my good friend Bill Zeisset over in Trenton :?: :?:
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer