This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What a Bummer

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

What a Bummer

Postby Kirk » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:53 pm

Well, I just finished the restoration on my '49 only weeks ago and what happens????? Clutch problems :evil: The throwout bearing is "shelled".

The bigger problem though, is why. I'm afraid I know the answer, but want to see what yall think. Hopefully I'm wrong. Here's what happened:

A few days ago, I finished restoring and attaching a snowblade to "Red". Then I drove her around a bit and noticed that the gears were beginning to grind some when I changed gears. The next day it was worse.....and today I knew I had to check things out.

First I checked and did some adjustments to the clutch pedal play....whereas there was a LOT :shock: And I couldn't get the play out. From there, I went to the hand hole and upon removing the cover, a bunch of graphite powder came pouring out :roll:

Now here's a little background: When I was restoring "Red", I changed out the transmission which had the clutch shaft still attached. I knew the replacement tranny was a good quiet one, but never really drove that tractor much. When I got Red all back together....the tranny was quiet and I could feel no vibration.

But the way the powder came out of the inspection hole....I'm thinking that the shaft must have a small bend in it to do that to a brand new throwout bearing????? I'm hoping that's not the case but I don't really know what else it could be.

Any ideas or suggestions? Looks like I have a project ahead of me regardless. I appreciate any input :?
Kirk

CUBS:
'49

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rick Prentice » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:05 pm

When I got Red all back together....the tranny was quiet and I could feel no vibration.

Hi Kirk. I would say the shaft wasn't bent. My guess would be you either forgot to grease the new throw out bearing, or there's some sort of burr on the pressure plate fingers. Another possibility is the pressure plate fingers way out of adjustment causing the TOB to mate wrong. Are they adjusted to the 1 1/4" spec's?

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kirk » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:45 am

Rick,

I had adjusted the fingers but did NOT :shock: grease the throwout bearing. Though it makes sense to me now, didn't know you needed too.

I'm hopeful that is the cause.....and appreciate your quick response, Rick.

I'm feeling much better now 8)
Kirk

CUBS:

'49

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:34 am

Actually greasing the throw out bearing is a long term type investment. It is lubricated by the oil seperating from the wax base in the grease and soaking into the graphite from the rear. This takes time. The IH ones come prelubricated, so the graphite is already saturated up with oil, while the aftermarket ones I have seen are completely dry. It is not in the manuals, but when installing one I like to wipe a very thin layer of oil or grease on the face of a new TO bearing.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kirk » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:46 pm

Thanks John!
I should have known better :oops:
Kirk

CUBS:

'49

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:48 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote: It is not in the manuals, but when installing one I like to wipe a very thin layer of oil or grease on the face of a new TO bearing.

I do the same. I don't put on enough for the fingers to throw it around. I make sure the entire face is covered, but hardly more than enough to make it shine a bit.

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kirk » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:30 am

Man, I've been learning allot lately.......the hard way :evil:

Just proves "no matter how old you are....." :wink:
Kirk

CUBS:

'49

Return to “Farmall Cub”