This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tried 12v battery

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Tried 12v battery

Postby kinelbor » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:30 pm

I took the battery out of my old pickup and put it on the cub today. WOW!! :shock: :shock: The starter turns so fast I dont think the mag even has to trip. Just have to bump the starter rod out and its running. I think I will keep it on there and just top off the battery once and a while on the charger. Should I disconnect the generator?
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:38 pm

Niki....if you feel strongly about doing this (and I wish you didn't) yes, disconnect your generator........

Clem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48463
Tractors Owned: 1956 FAST HITCH CUB
MODEL 10 CUB TRAILER
2 1950 Demonstrators

Postby Clem » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:59 pm

and your lights and regulator, maybe your wire from the mag to switch too...

kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kinelbor » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:01 pm

I rode the cub around and noticed that the amp guage is now reading halfway up the charge side. All it ever did before was bounce around. I think that somewhere in my cubs life there was some POI with the generator. Maybe its a 12v generator?
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:01 pm

Clem wrote:and your lights and regulator, maybe your wire from the mag to switch too...

Wire from the mag is different and isolated circuitry......

Lights and regulator, yes, definitely....or at least regulator, and change the bulbs to the 12V version.......

kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kinelbor » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:02 pm

Hehe, no lights! I never really liked the look of them so I just didnt bother putting them on. If I ever do, I will make sure they are 12v bulbs.
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:06 pm

kinelbor wrote:I rode the cub around and noticed that the amp guage is now reading halfway up the charge side. All it ever did before was bounce around. I think that somewhere in my cubs life there was some POI with the generator. Maybe its a 12v generator?

No niki.....a 6v Genny will try and pour 6v into a partially discharge 12v battery all it wants, but it never does any good..... Get it off of there, or you'll be replacing that genny..... maybe you want to convert to a 12V alternator at some point..... Or, put in a cut-off switch, that you can flip once you start the puppy.....

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:56 pm

Nik,
If you have an original type charging system for a '48, that is the 3 brush generator with a cut-out (no voltage regulator) it very well MAY be able to charge a 12 volt battery. The 3 brush generator is inherently current limited but not voltage regulated. Excessive current, not voltage is what will burn out a generator so it may be OK.

If that is what you have, try it. Check your ammeter at full throttle after a start up to see how much it is producing. If it is no more than 11 amps (from wherever your ammeter zeroes), it is OK to use. If it exceeds 11 amps, you need to either unhook the generator (by unhooking the wire from the F terminal), or cut the output back with the switch or by moving the third brush.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:32 pm

Or if you decide to make the change to no generator permanent, take the belt off so you don't have extra junk spinning to cause trouble.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

AlanPCUBS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AlanPCUBS » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:32 pm

Or just convert your generator to 12V it can be done. just becarful not to run starter to long.

rustynuts
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rustynuts » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:51 pm

Mine is 12 volt with a alt. to charge the battery with a old type ceramic resistor between the coil and the distrubtor no regulator but with 12 v bulbs in the lights its pretty nice just don't run them in the dim position on the switch, or that little coil on the switch gets pretty hot pretty fast. I had 6 volt on my 8N and it was lathargic starting and when cold weather hit ,I had to warm the oil up with a heater stick. Good bye 6v hello 12v..my 2 cents...........Bill
* If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'.

rkd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rkd » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:43 pm

Really interested in this thread.

My Dad ran his Cub for the last 3 or 4 years that he used it with a 12 battery installed, and just charged it up after each use.

It seems he disconnected all the 6 v lights, and mounted some 12 lights on it. (Ugly, but probably all 1930's auto head and tail lights with 12 v bulbs) The 12 battery ran the tractor and the lights for a couple hours if I remember correctly.

This worked for him.

That battery had not been touched, or charged in at least 3 years, and it still cranked the tractor off the trailer in reverse!

I have had it here for 3 weeks or so. I am using a 12 bat in it and also charging it after my episodes of running. So far, Ive only run it maybe 15 minutes at a time. We put a 12 v/no ballast resistor required coil in it 4 or 5 years ago, and its still in there. Gen and reg is still hooked up I guess. Gage reads on the discharge side, but I really have not seen it move yet.

Headlights are disconnected.

Best plan I have heard is to put both a 6 and a 12 v batt in it, and just connect the 12 v to the starter only.

My current plan is to get the gen checked and repaired, and the regulator, and set it all up 6 v. He already had lugs to jump it with.
59 Cub Loboy,66 Malibu, 82 Mustang, 79 Capri

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:09 pm

On cubs with the dim lights position on the light switch, many mistakenly believe that the dimming resistor will get hotter with 12 volts. Switching to the typical sealed beam 12 volt lamps for the Cub lamp housings results in lower amperage for the lamps due to the doubled voltage. The resistor will stay cooler- and the lamps are dimmed less than at 6 volts.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Clem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48463
Tractors Owned: 1956 FAST HITCH CUB
MODEL 10 CUB TRAILER
2 1950 Demonstrators

Postby Clem » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:33 pm

my latest project was all disconnected except the 12 volt battery to starter. To shut it off, the po would shut the fuel off and run the gas out of the carb. It started great, but since my switch back to 6 volts and rewiring it all up it starts very very hard, I think I'll need to check the timing on it.

The easy way out is to put the 12 volt battery back on.....

Return to “Farmall Cub”