This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Loading Cub tires

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
99roushford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Loading Cub tires

Postby 99roushford » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:46 pm

Hi guy's, I have been on the other forum about Loading my "H" tires. I had two uncles who were IH mechanic from the late 40 to the 70. they both said that IH did not recommend loading CUB tires. I have stated before my H and CUB are working tractors and the only problem I have ever had is traction with he CUB never not enough power. I have rear and front wheel weighs. what is you take on this load or not.
Moe
ALL GAVE SOME AND SOME GAVE ALL.
REMEMBER THE VETERAN AND GOD BLESS AMERICA

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:11 pm

Moe - If your tractors are workers and you need the weight then I'd do it. For a lot of us who just play with our cubs the extra weight is a deterrant.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:43 pm

Just my take. I have front and rear weights on my Cub. When I need more weight and power, I use one of my larger tractors.

Eugene

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:00 pm

Some of us have double sets of weights on some of our play tractors. I've been removing the calcium from the others whenever I can. Of the 24 tractors here there are only three that still have it. I'm afraid I'm too late removing it from the Ford 641. :(
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

rkd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rkd » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:14 pm

For us tractor newbies, what is "loading the tires?"
59 Cub Loboy,66 Malibu, 82 Mustang, 79 Capri

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:31 pm

Filling them with a calcium chloride or anti-freeze solution to add weight to the rear wheels. It improves traction.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487

Postby Jackman » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:43 pm

I have a 57 lo boy no weights and nothing but air in the tires seems to work just fine for me, but I also have a new to 51 F Cub with wheel weights all arounnd and loaded tires and I sure do notice the differance between weight and no weights, I like the nonweighted Cub better. The 51 with the loaded tires has some rust at the valve stems thats probley from the calcium but since the tires never loose air pressure I don't understand what makes them rust :? .... Maybe they recomend not loading Cubs because the calcium will rust the rims.........

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:22 am

My '47 and '49 Owner's Manuals both address how to load the tires in considerable detail. The '73 Manual for the 154 simply says "When very heavy weight is required, both liquid and cast iron weights can be used."

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:02 am

cub instruction manuals for loading tires are found on pages 48 and 49 of the early manuals, including the one for 1950 on Rudi's server
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:16 am

Jackman,
I had the same situation on my cub, starting to rust around the valve stems, but not loosing air. When I split the tires from the rims, I found liquid between the tire and the tube. Turns out that the tube was punctured or worn through, but the tire was sealed to the rim good enough to prevent it from loosing air. That rim was in considerably worse shape than the other, which only had liquid inside the tube.

My Cub is one of the higher hp models because it is a 1977, and with the tires loaded and weights all around, I was still able to break the back tires loose when grading dirt (ok, the dirt was packed up under the oil pan, and rolling over the top of the blade). I did however notice that if the grader blad hooked onto a tree root or stump, the tires would dig in and lift the front of the tractor off of the ground quicker than you could blink. Now that the tires are not loaded and I'm only running weights, the tires are more likely to break loose quicker than lifting the front of the tractor off the ground. I like this setup better because, as we all know, it is not good to lift the front of a cub, as it leads to bad bad things.

My vote, run a set or two of rear weights. If you need more weight, get a bigger tractor, or cut back your load.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:37 am

Reminds me of a story from years ago. A neighbor had a Farmall M which had experienced multiple transmission problems. I don't remember ever seeing that tractor without a tandem hitch of tillage equipment behind it. One day the neighbor was discussing the problem with my father. The neighbor said that maybe he should try taking some of the liquid out of the tires and let them slip a little. My father replied with "did you ever consider taking some of the load off of it?"

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:18 pm

Brings to mind when i was in a local machine shop, and the owner was working on a pto drive line for a bush hot that had been twisted off. I asked him what had happened and he said the guy had a light duty brush hog on a large Ford diesel and kept tearing it out. guy complained that was the 3rd tiem he had to get it repaired and was unhappy. shop owner replied "If you would take it easier you wouldn't tear ti up so much". customer replied "I can't get nothin done if I go slower" shop owner replied "You ain't gettin much done while you're waiting for me to fix it either or you."

Ron Luebke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30145
eBay ID: 9716ron

Postby Ron Luebke » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:03 pm

i thought i heard antifreeze would not rust as bad as the calcium.key words (as bad) :?:
TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT !!!

' its just plain ole Ron '

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:08 pm

yup, calcium is a slat type product, where antifreeze is water based. antifreeze does have rust inhibtors in it, but not sure how long they last in a tire though.

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:15 pm

Calcium Chloride is "Qwik-Joe" ice melt..... Calcium based salt..... it's very heavy, and is relatively harmless to soil and critters if it leaks out..... It does promote rust just as much as road salt, however, and usually, small amounts leak out of the tube from time to time and eventually make their way to the stem hole.

Antifreeze is much lighter, and is environmentally unsound, should you get a puncture.......... it does not promote rust, however.....a lot of guys here save their old antifreeze, and strain it before filling their tires with it.

I agree with George, however, and think that if you need more rear weight, you should go with a second set of rear weights....

Any tractor I'm on doesn't really have that problem however, but for folks who are Ralph's size, I can see where it can become an issue..... :twisted:

Return to “Farmall Cub”