This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Wiring Harness

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI
Circle of Safety: Y

Cub Wiring Harness

Postby BIGHOSS » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:11 pm

I see that there are wiring harness kits available for about $90-$100. Seeing that I am on a "retirement" income and the rebuilding of "Uncle Bob" is for the experience and satisfaction of restoring my dad's 47 with no thought of getting my investment back, I have to watch my expenses.

So, I am wondering, is it feasible to make a complete, correct and attractive wire harness yourself? Has anyone out there made a wire harness and if so would you share with us the method of fabrication and assembly? Also, the sources for the fabric wire loom.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

Larry in CO
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Larry in CO » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:51 pm

You can make a complete and attractive wiring loom yourself. Not sure how correct it would be to the purist, but they look pretty darn good. You can find the fabric loom in three different diameters at your frendly NAPA dealer. Depending on whether your Cub has a mag or distributor, useing the correct diagram provided by Bob Melville's link below will ensure success. Although the diagrams are for H's and M's, the schematics will work just a well for a Cub. I built my loom for my Farmall H in less that half a day and it didn't cost but around $50 for all the supplies and I have enough left over for another tractor... Good luck and hope this helps.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIn ... 065733&f=0
Last edited by Larry in CO on Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:53 pm

i made my own, using the old one as a pattern but i used plastic wire loom for it. i also added another ground wire for my lights as well. i think if you look on ebay or do a google search for antique car wire looms you should get an idea on how much the cost. it cost me around 20 to make mine
john

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:58 pm

I use the wiring harness that can be bought from CNH. You can get one from your local dealer or get one from:

http://www.cngco.com/oem.electric.html
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:39 pm

If you're not all into the end result's appearance, you can use any decent wire of the appropriate guage, and wrap the significant parts with electrical tape for that matter....... Since the bulk of the harness is not truly visable, it's not going to stick out like a sore thumb......

I have spools and spools of 10 guage multistrand. I find it suitable for doing the bulk of the wiring.......

Russ Leggitt
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 38655
Tractors Owned: [18] CUBs from 1947 thru 1974; "B" Farmall, [2] John Deere MTs; Ford 600; Ford 4000; and a 1956 IHC S112 Pickup [CUB Hauler]

Cub Wiring

Postby Russ Leggitt » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:54 pm

Hi BigHoss,

I Buy AWG #10 stranded wire in different colors from an electrical supply
house or Home Depot or Lowes and cut each wire to length and use crimp
on connectors and solder the connections. Then I use the split plastic wire
guard or solid wire guard similar to the original. I also run an extra ground wire for the lights. This is done using the appropriate wiring
schematic. The total cost is under $30.00. You can use smaller wire
for some parts of the circuits, however, I just use all #10 gauge so I
only have to worry with one type.

Hope this helps.

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:10 pm

I have made many harnesses by using the original as a template. In the old days they used a piece of plywood with nails driven in to form the harness and just ran the wires around the proper nails. Then cover with tape and wala.

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:51 pm

That's what I'm talking about! This is the kind of response that this forum is famous for.

Cecil, your plywood use jogged my memory. The aircraft company that I retired from made wings for L1011, C5A, B1B and many other planes. We made our own wire harness in a department, just for that purpose. 4 X 8 sheets of plywood, placed end to end as long as the harness needed to be, were used as templates to manufacture the wire. The wires were strung along the plywood using a color code and nails for different lengths and breakouts. It was a simple, but efficient method.

The wire and different terminal clips will be easy to get. I would prefer to stay with the original cloth type loom.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:57 am

Hoss, a factory one is about $45 from a dealer for yours.

I did get a harness on ebay for my 50 that was reasonable ($30). Can't say if the lights work (still on the to do list) but the ignition was fine. The hardest part about the wiring is getting the colors (minor) and good quality connectors. I prefer to solder anything I do.

But you really don't see it and as long as you have solid connections, it is a pretty simple harness.

By the way, I found the latest version of the operators manual to have the best wiring diagrams for any Cub. About $18 from a CaseIH dealer.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:58 am

As BW said it is better to solder the connectors on then crimp. It's just amazing how little vibration or corrosion it takes to make the crimp connectors go bad.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:07 am

BH:

I agree with Larry and Cecil but, I go one better... I like the SpaeNaur Crimp-ons, Spades, Ring and Spade and Socket connectors, but as Cecil mentioned, simply crimping will eventually work loose. So, I crimp then solder EVERY connection. I then use Shrink Wrap around em and then into a loom. For a work tractor such as Ellie and Granny at the moment, the plastic loom works well, keeps things neat and tidy as well as keeping the weather out. For a restore, I will probably go the cloth route if I can.. be nice, but it is not a must do for me.

I have no fear of the Correct Police.. they is illegal up here :lol: :lol: :lol: Image
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:46 pm

I should know better and be able to make up a decent harness, but you gotta admit this one is respectable for $30. But like most things on eBay it was a gamble.

1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)