This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Miscellaneous Cub Questions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rkd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Miscellaneous Cub Questions

Postby rkd » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:34 pm

In messing with my 59 Loboy I have come up with some questions...

It has solid metal core spark plug wires, is this correct?

Will these wires activate a regular inductive pickup timing light? Last week I could not seem to get any flashes out of my timing light. Do I need an old school light that goes in series with the plug and wire?

I checked #1 and 4 by clamping the plug to a ground and cranking. Had spark. Finally got the base timing set with the book method of setting the motor on No1, and rotating the dist. This amazes me but it seemed to work.

I lost the choke rod, will a parts store cable work?

Until I get it running and can adjust it, can I replace the governor rod with another pull cable?

My Dad had installed a 12 battery in this 6 v Cub and used it that way for the last 3 or so years he used it. He said it ran the lights better for plowing at night. He just charged it between uses.

Does this damage the regulator and generator? It came with a 6 v bat sitting under the seat, not connected.

Should I use a 6 or 12 volt coil with the 12 v. We have some of both.

Can I at least temporarily connect only the starter to the 12 volt, and the rest to the 6 volt? I assume I would separate the power connection at the starter post.

Will a 50/50 mix of plain old yellow Prestone be ok in the cooling system?

Can you get the valve side cover off with the carb in place?

Sorry if some of this sounds half ass, but I want to get it going and hopefully driveable or self moveable in the next two weeks. Fixing, cleaning and getting some details right will come later. I am temporarily moving, and it will be easier to move a running tractor as a hobby/toy than a non running one.

Thanks.
59 Cub Loboy,66 Malibu, 82 Mustang, 79 Capri

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rick Prentice » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:52 pm

rkd

Yes, you'll have to find just the right opening to slide it out, towards the front.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Miscellaneous Cub Questions

Postby Donny M » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:31 pm

rkd wrote:In messing with my 59 Loboy I have come up with some questions...

It has solid metal core spark plug wires, is this correct?

Will these wires activate a regular inductive pickup timing light? Last week I could not seem to get any flashes out of my timing light. Do I need an old school light that goes in series with the plug and wire?

I checked #1 and 4 by clamping the plug to a ground and cranking. Had spark. Finally got the base timing set with the book method of setting the motor on No1, and rotating the dist. This amazes me but it seemed to work.

I lost the choke rod, will a parts store cable work?

Until I get it running and can adjust it, can I replace the governor rod with another pull cable?

My Dad had installed a 12 battery in this 6 v Cub and used it that way for the last 3 or so years he used it. He said it ran the lights better for plowing at night. He just charged it between uses.

Does this damage the regulator and generator? It came with a 6 v bat sitting under the seat, not connected.

Should I use a 6 or 12 volt coil with the 12 v. We have some of both.

Can I at least temporarily connect only the starter to the 12 volt, and the rest to the 6 volt? I assume I would separate the power connection at the starter post.

Will a 50/50 mix of plain old yellow Prestone be ok in the cooling system?

Sorry if some of this sounds half ass, but I want to get it going and hopefully driveable or self moveable in the next two weeks. Fixing, cleaning and getting some details right will come later. I am temporarily moving, and it will be easier to move a running tractor as a hobby/toy than a non running one.

Thanks.

I'll try :lol:

Yes the wire core is correct. And yes if you connect the pick up correctly it will work just fine.

The choke rod is easliy reproduced with a length of 3/16 steel rod. The choke cable will work with some modification.

The governor rod should be replaced. A cable is not ideal but may work if you can hold it in position.

Use a 12 volt coil with a 12 volt battery.

A 50/50 mix will be just fine.

Rick answered the valve cover question :wink:
8)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:04 pm

Plan on going either returning to 6 volt or converting to a 12 volt system. The starter will work just fine on 12 volts.

I don't think I would go to the effort of having 2 different voltage electrical systems. While working on the Cub, I would disconnect the 6 volt B terminal at the regulator (tape the end). Lights are probably 12volt - just keep in the off switch position.

Coil. You need to cut the voltage down to 6 volts at the points. So, use a 12 volt coil with internal resistor or and external resistor.

Different opinion on choke (rod/cable) Rod. You need to push and pull to operate the choke.

12 volt battery with 6 bolt generator and regulator. My guess is that the regulator and perhaps the generator are shot.

Eugene

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:57 pm

when you refer to the governor rod, are you referring to the one going to the hand lever, id so you can replace it with a cable, but dragging on engine components will be a problem, it has specific bends to give clearance.. if you are referring to the one going to the carb, it needs to be a rod.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:00 pm

When you make up the 50 50 mix for the radiator do it in a pail then poar it in the radiator. Not having a water pump if you put in antifreeze then water they will never mix.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:33 pm

Actually they will mix, but it takes quite a bit of running under load to make it circualte enough to mix properly.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:46 am

If you are talking just for now... the choke can be operated by hand (L shaped lever on the outside). I would say try Ralph or TM for the throttle/governor and the choke rods. They show up on ebay too.

You can use just water in the radiator for now.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”