This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub working for it's owner

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dan Robertson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47421
eBay ID: gotowin
Tractors Owned: 55 cub,
74 cub,
Cub Cadet 1515,
Case 580B TLB,
53 Ford Jubilee,
MF 271XE,
JD 3130,
JD gater

Cub working for it's owner

Postby Dan Robertson » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:26 pm

This last couple months has found the cub and I clearing a property line down through a wooded area in preperation for a new fence. The cub along with a chainsaw, machete, and an axe has been outstanding in getting this job done. The fence building was begun this week. This provided another opportunity to test the rear hydraulics capabilities in lifting and transporting crosstie corner posts.

Although the cub hydraulics lifted the 6 -200+lb crossties I made the observation that the flatteness of the rear tires and how light the front end was, that this load was a bit much for the cub. :( I didn't want to break anything traveling over the rough ground to the new fence site. Need the cub in working order right now. I off-loaded the 2 ties on the back, and hauled the remaining 4 to the site without any problems.

For fetching the many split locust, and steel line posts I used the two wheel trailer behind the cub.

LIFE IS GOOD :!: :D
:) Dan Robertson :)

:oops: We all make mistakes :oops:
I try to keep mine to a minimum

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby John(videodoc) » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:46 pm

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:25 pm

good deal. When I first glanced at the picture I thought wowo, that rear is overloaded, no power steering needed. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:09 pm

I love it :D . GREAT JOB Dan. Could you tell us again what your four levers control? I noticed your cub has the front blade, with power angle :wink: , the mid blade(can't tell if it's power angle too :shock: . I remember your rear set-up having a cylinder.

CUBS RULE :D over that nice looking green thing in the background :roll:

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:59 pm

Its amazing to me that Cub hydraulics will lift up 1200lb. on a 1 pt. carry all :shock: :shock:

GREAT pictures Dan.
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

Dan Robertson
10+ Years
10+ Years
74 cub,
Cub Cadet 1515,
Case 580B TLB,
53 Ford Jubilee,
MF 271XE,
JD 3130,
JD gater

Postby Dan Robertson » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:58 pm

Rick asks;
I love it . GREAT JOB Dan. Could you tell us again what your four levers control? I noticed your cub has the front blade, with power angle , the mid blade(can't tell if it's power angle too . I remember your rear set-up having a cylinder.

The lever to the right (nearest the gear shift, and driver) controls the rear lift cylinder. Second to the left raises and lowers the front blade, while the third to the left changes the angle of the front blade. The fourth, and outermost lever controls the mid mount blade angle. The original TC control lever raises and lowers the mid mount blade.

With the down pressure of the front blade, and also the rear lift cylinder, the whole tractor can be lifted clear of the ground.

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:03 pm

I like it ......alot.
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:34 am

Hey Dan...NEAT SETUP Son :!: :wink: I can see that you & Rick will be gettin together and comparin' hydraulic options & possibilities all over the place :!: :shock:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:14 am

:shock: Thats Awesome Dan 8)

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Joe Howard
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Joe Howard » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:14 pm

Think long and hard before loading the rear of the Cub to the extent you almost pick up the front wheels..........the final drives are a "weak link" on the Cub and lifting that much weight would put a TREMENDOUS bending moment on the final drive mounting flange where it fits to the transmission. My '49 has had the left final drive casting broken/rewelded sometime in its past. I am very careful not to hang it on a tree or stump, etc. Breaking one of those castings would ruin your day and while they are available, take your checkbook because you'll need it. J Howard
-DO NOT OVERLOAD-

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:24 pm

Arizona Mike wrote:Its amazing to me that Cub hydraulics will lift up 1200lb. on a 1 pt. carry all :shock: :shock:

GREAT pictures Dan.

Look at the size of his rear lift cylinder, though.....it's huge...... I imagine it's a little slow, but very strong, even with the cub's little pump.......

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:26 pm

I imagine it's a little slow

I noticed Dan installed a flow control valve to the rear cylinder. There's only one reason to do that, to slow it down :shock: . I know with my set-up, the pump is faster than one would think :D

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:30 pm

Might be, Rick...I know you are running big lines, and big fittings.....I am not adept at judging the size of lines from pictures, but now that you mention it, those lines do look mighty big.....

Dan, I vaguely remember you posting photos about a year ago, as to how you have your rear cylinder mounted, but I'd be much obliged if you could post them again.

--Tom

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:41 pm

I was wondering how the rear lift raised 1200 lbs. Now I see that you have the remote cylinder. I don't think that I can lift more that 400 lbs with my platform carrier. But I plan on rebuilding the TC this winter.

Dan Robertson
10+ Years
10+ Years
74 cub,
Cub Cadet 1515,
Case 580B TLB,
53 Ford Jubilee,
MF 271XE,
JD 3130,
JD gater

Postby Dan Robertson » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:26 pm

For those asking questions and wanting more info on the remote hydraulics on the 55 cub. The rear lift cylinder is not all that huge--- 2.5" bore w. 6.5" stroke. It lifts the rear fast hitch at the same speed as the original TC hydraulics. The hoses are 3/8". The flow control valve on the rear lift cyl. controls the descent speed of the fast hitch.

I learned the need for this control the hard way. :( Long story-- may need to start a new post to explain. :roll:
Joe Howard is right about the dangers of overloading the cub. There are several castings on the cub that are much thinner then what you may think. Many years ago while doing field work with the cub I broke completely the cast housing between the differential and the right final drive. This obvious look of being overloaded is why I opted to transport only 4 of the crosstie posts and not the 6 that I had first loaded onto the carry all.
Click the link to see more pics of the mounting brackets, and details, also a pretty neat hydraulic schematic. http://photos.cubfest.com/thumbnails.php?album=233

Return to “Farmall Cub”