This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

steamin Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
siii8873
10+ Years
10+ Years

steamin Cub

Postby siii8873 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:24 pm

I continue to work on my cub. I replaced the coil, drained the radiator and the fluids looked good. refilled the radiator. Cleaned out the crankcase vent tube (it was plugged). Removed the hood and set up a temporary fuel system.
I ran the cub for about 15 minutes and it started and ran well. I backed it into the garage and the radiator is steaming. Coudn't see this when running it as it is dark out. I did check the fan and it is turning great. What is the correct radiator cap for the 74 International cub. Mine is not spring loaded in any way just a plain cap. I did not have any of these problems this summer when I was grading my yard.
I have a digital picture of the tractor about 10 minutes after I pulled it in the garage with it steaming but do not know how to post a picture. Could I email this to someone to post?
"May the current be with you and the wind at your back"

siii8873
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby siii8873 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:55 pm

This is an attemp to post a picture of the steaming cub.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:58 pm

The pressure cap is either vented - no pressure or 2 or 3 lbs. Just a plain old cap is good.

Try this.

Remove the water manifold, under the starter. Clean out all of the crap that has settled in the bottom of the block. Clean out all of the crap that has settled in the bottom of the radiator. Remove the water housing from the top of the block. Back flush the block from the top. Back flush the radiator.

I made a tool to clean out the block. It's 1/4" copper tubing soldered to a female garden hose end. It's about 8 inches long with a bend about 3 inches from the end. Attach to a garden hose - turn on the water. Stick the tool into the block to get the crap from the back side of the cylinders and between the cylinders. Use the tool in the lower radiator housing.

Eugene

TOOLMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 90210

Postby TOOLMAN » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:03 pm

:cry:
Last edited by TOOLMAN on Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3969 Members

1954 Cub quick hitch /Plow
1947 Ford 2N
1948 Green Machine Model M (i know)
Knowledge Is Power
and Power is Knowledge
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten."

siii8873
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby siii8873 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:07 pm

Eugene,
thanks. The fluids looked good but its probable just the fluids in the radiator. I though about doing this today but didn't have gaskets. I was at the CaseIH dealer today. My wife was correct when she said we never get everything we need the first time. Well now she knows where the place is and can run errands for me. She is very goos at that. I will most likely need new gaskets to reinstall these connections.CaseIH item?

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:11 pm

siii,

Your symptoms are a deja vu for me.
Sounds just like what happened when I got the '67 going for the first time. Did you mix the water and coolant before dumping into rad? Could be too, that you overfilled the rad?
Just Do It !

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:16 pm

Gaskets. I make some of my own gaskets. Purchase a roll of gasket material from the autoparts store. Making gaskets is pretty easy.

Cost effective. Yes when you figure in your transportation expense to and from the autoparts store and you only need one or two gaskets. For overhauls, I purchase gasket sets.

Eugene
If you haven't done so, take the garden hose to the radiator fins from the front and back.

siii8873
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby siii8873 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:35 pm

Toolman how did you make the picture full size?

Do you use the rubberized cork (1/16, 1/32?) for these types of gaskets?

I reused the coolant.. It looked so good that I ran the stuff I removed through a filter and reused it. What is the correct level? I filled it untill it covered the top of the core but just below the overflow. I ran the tractor for about 5 minutes checked it and it raised up to the top. After I ran it for a while and brought it back in it was back down a little. Maybe this is the source of the steam from the overflow.
EZ,
what was the source of your problem, just overfilling it?

One thing I learned from this is that the next time I'm going to do a tune up I'm going to include a clean up ect and the hood is going to come off. It is much easier to get at things and I now have a temporary gas tank set up. It is not that difficult to take the hood off.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:55 pm

siii8873 wrote:Do you use the rubberized cork (1/16, 1/32?) for these types of gaskets?

Maybe this is the source of the steam from the overflow. just overfilling it?

I use 1/32" thick gasket material. It's not rubberized or cork. Last roll (sheet) was purchased from NAPA.

Steam. Over filling the radiator will cause water to spue out of the overflow. If the steam is comming out the radiator cap or overflow, then overfilling is not the cause.

Eugene

TOOLMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 90210

Postby TOOLMAN » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:00 pm

Simple to enlarge
after you upload your picture go find it in your albaum and click on the picture it will open up and enlarge for you if you click on it again it will reach Maxium size
at this point you right click your mouse over the pictire and copy the properties than place in you posting in the enlarge size :roll: you get the picture?
3969 Members

1954 Cub quick hitch /Plow
1947 Ford 2N
1948 Green Machine Model M (i know)
Knowledge Is Power
and Power is Knowledge
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten."

Return to “Farmall Cub”