This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

checking engine compression

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
gnu2this
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42066
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub and Farmall H

Postby gnu2this » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:50 am

Would someone mind posting a link or describing the proper way to check engine compression? I have the manuals that rudi suggests but I have not found a step by step "how-to." I bought a compression gage at auto zone but I'm not sure how to use it. Can I just take the #1 spark plug out and screw in the gage and then hit the starter or do I need to use a hand crank and turn 1/4 turn at a time? Thanks!
searching for satellite signal...please stand by.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:02 am

There's a link to a compression test FAQ in a thread of mine below, "115psi compression and still gutless" or something like that.

Taking compression readings is hardly rocket science, and is pretty much like you said: Take out the spark plug, screw in the compression gauge, and hit the starter button. The FAQ recommends 4 compression strokes to get a good reading, but then goes on to say you should crank until you get a stable reading.

Take a reading on each cylinder.

Of course, you do NOT want the engine to start, so hit the kill switch and/or remove the coil wire.

Larry Barb Dotson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Larry Barb Dotson » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:10 am

I believe the correct way is to removee all spark plugs and crank until max. compression is achieved, usually about 4 compression strokes. No
worry that the engine will start without any spark plugs.

Larry D.

magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Checking Compression

Postby magnumpi » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:21 am

To play it safe, I'd only unscrew one plug at a time. In the automotive world, there's always the chance that you can blow out the head gasket between cylinders if there's a slight warp to the head or some head bolts are not uniformly torqued.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:58 am

Also make sure the throttle is open, and most accurate results are obtained with the engine warm.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”