This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

primer

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657
Circle of Safety: Y

primer

Postby john2189 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:29 pm

HI,

What is the proper color of primer for the red and the yellow and white cubs ? I plan to paint them both this winter.
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:26 pm

I hesitate to answer since others here have painted several Cubs. but I have done some auto painting. A red primer would be ideal for the red Cubs. Yellow does not hide well, so I would choose the light gray primer for white or yellow. Seems that I saw some light yellow epoxy primer on one car- that should be ideal. If others disagree, I will not argue.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Davesaver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Davesaver » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:50 pm

Bus Driver has it right.

Use the color or shade of color that your top coat will cover the easiest. You can use gray primer under everything to save money on materials. it just when your red paint chips if you have red primer under it it will show less. Epoxy primers come the color they are and thats what you use. Sometimes people will use a filler primer over the epoxy primer and will use the desired shade at that point.

In the old days red primer was red oxide primer and had properties that went to the level of protection rather than color. I beleive it had a lot of lead in it. But it was pretty much phased out when I got into the business. The name Red Oxide is mostly from the material/minerals used to make the color red.They carried over the name but other than the color it is no different in properties than Light gray or dark gray primer.
Dave Saver ? Because I save everything. Just ask my wife.

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby john2189 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:18 pm

I just thought that different color primers could have an affect on the shade of the top coat. just wondering
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:36 pm

I have used a few different rattle can primers and am really fond of duplicolor red oxide. Not a filler primer, but real easy to use.

Also used white Rustoleum brush on, it does make it harder to get a decent coverage of red and has a nasty habit of showing brush strokes.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Davesaver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Davesaver » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:29 am

John,

It has a lot to do with the color and the pigments that make up that color. Hence why you would want to use a light primer under white and other lighter colors. Red is a dense heavy pigment as is black and most other medium to dark colors. All of this is in reference to solid base paints.

When you start getting into custom colors candies, pearls etc. the whole game changes. That's when you start laying down a base coat very similar or different to your custom color to get the effect you want.

By the time you get a couple of coats of paint on your tractor or implements be it white, yellow, blue or red it should cover red, dk gray or lt gray primer with out effecting the color of your topcoat. The economy of having one primer (go with light gray) or the concern of what shows through when the topcoat chips is really the two governing factors.

An easy way to test for desired results would be to spray and or brush out some samples to see

DaveL
Dave Saver ? Because I save everything. Just ask my wife.

Return to “Farmall Cub”