This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rough runnin Cub?????????

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60936
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub SN 8664
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149
Circle of Safety: Y

Rough runnin Cub?????????

Postby Jason (IL) » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:17 pm

I started to get my Cubs ready for winter tonight and the one miss fires pretty bad. So what I did is, started with new plugs, no help at all, then went on with a ne distributor cap and rotor, no help either, so I then changed all plug wires, which then again no help at all. I started thinking a little because the tractor ran perfectly two weeks ago, but we have had a lot of cool damp and soggy days so I though maybe there was a little bit of moisture inside of the disturbutor but no everything looks good. The Cub starts right up but misses like it is only hitting on three cylinders. My next guess is that maybe I have a stuck valve. The reason I say that is, I ran the tractor for a little bit and then checked all plugs and found the #2 plug to be the only damp plug and it wasn't as hot as the others too. But I started thinking again that maybe the condenser and points could be messed up a little but I don't know. I'm thinking of trying new points tomorrow night. Anybody have any thoughts on this one. I was thinking maybe an electrical short somewhere but have kinda rulled it out. I know for sure it isn't the carb because it is getting plenty of gas.
I am trying to get this one ready for plowing snow since it ran so good all summer and know have no idea what has gone wrong.

Thanks Jason

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:38 pm

Crank it over by hand, if compression feels about the same on all 4 cylinders, it probably isn't a stuck valve. Make sure you don't have a plug wire causing the problem. You might swap the #2 and #3 wires (BOTH ENDS) and see if the problem moves to the other cylinder.

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:38 pm

I doubt you have a stuck valve but i think it could be 2 other problems causing your miss. It could be that a chunk of carbon has come loose from the cylinder head causing the valve not to seat. The next thing could be a worn vave and seat. The valve may have slightly turned casuing the worn seat not to seal. I any case you need to get a compression guage and do a proper compreaaion check.In 90% of the cubs i have rebuilt over the years the valve seats were worn bad. Also the valve face is grooved. Hope this helps!
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.