This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wheel weight build

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:39 pm

David Bennett wrote:But how do you make the sand castings?
David

David,

Here's an explanation, but it is much more sophisticated than IH used to make the wheel weights.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_casting

The casting quality of the weights suggests most molds were made by employees their first day on the job. It isn't rocket science... they were only interested in HEAVY.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:56 pm

Thanks George
David

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:32 pm

Gentlemen,

Melting lead for any sort of casting needs to be done OUTSIDE....or in an arrangement that the lead fumes are taken out with the stove exhaust.

When I made leaden fishing sinkers, I just melted small amounts in a casting ladle in our old jackstove in the cellar......any fumes went right up the chimney.....

Melting a pot full of lead needs be done in a heavy iron pot that is banked in hot coals.......one just keeps the fire going, and keeps banking the coals under, and around the pot.

Make / obtain yourself a good fire ring, and choose a day that is not too windy, or it'll never melt.....

Basically, sand casting is done by ramming sand (with a conditioner to make it stick together) as tightly as possible around an existing Iron wheel weight, and then carefully removing it (I don't think there are any undercuts, are there, George??)

Oh wait, the back side of the weight is dished in, to allow stacking, so it would need to be a 2 part mold....nonetheless, it's still an easy enough process.....

I helped cast some Iron and aluminum pulleys some years ago here on this farm, and I was amazed at how (relatively) easy the process was. My uncle had lathed masters out of wood.

With a 2 part mold, of a single-bodied object of that size, one needs perhaps 3 or 4 places to pour the lead in, and a couple of places to let the hot air and steam out.

These places later need to be cut off and ground flat with a grinder, but it is not a big deal with any common metal.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:06 am

Bruce Sanford wrote: I tried to make weights for my cadets out of concrete,but they were not heavy enough. Bruce

Somebody (commercial manufacturer) made concrete weights, plastic coated that fit rear wheels on lawn tractors. I have a set on a 105 Cub Cadet. They are about 3 or 4 times as thick as the front wheel weight on the Cub.

Wouldn't it be faster, easier and perhaps cheaper to fluid load your rear tires?

Eugene

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:51 am

Interesting, especially since I need a set for Rufus and $100 for a couple of chunks of iron is pretty steep in my frugal mind.

I started cleaning up the weights for Cathy today.... But I don't have a sandbox so not sure I could get a good mold before they get mounted. And I still have a lot to do on the 'snowplow'.

Larry
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:54 pm

this is another good post! i have seen construction companies make weights for alot of different machinery. i watched a field repair tech use a 55 gal drum full of old tire balance weights to make square shaped ballast for an earthmover. he used what i think is a large propane torch and a cast iron pot to melt the stuff down. the molds were made of wood coated in grout.
john

TractorChick
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63023
Skype Name: The Chick
Tractors Owned: 2006 exmark zeroturn
1949 farmall cub
1948 farmall C
1963 Tilly Tiller
1951 Farmall Super A "lil' devil"
1945 farmall a "Apple"
1955 farmall cub

Postby TractorChick » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:08 pm

i would say, just spend a little more and just buy weights... much easier :)
Silly Boys, Trucks are for girls.... :)
1963 Divco milk truck
1998 chevy Z71 truck
1984 SS Elcamino

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:10 pm

We use mound clay to build up around home plate and the pitchers mound. this stuff is prety easy to work with. Do you think a mold could be made out of clay alone housed in wood?
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:36 pm

David Bennett wrote:We use mound clay to build up around home plate and the pitchers mound. this stuff is prety easy to work with. Do you think a mold could be made out of clay alone housed in wood?
David

Maybe it would be possible, but certainly the time honored sand would be much better. Sand will faithfully copy the shape of the pattern and separate cleanly. I've made a lot of castings using properly prepared sand and wouldn't consider clay.

There's a source for books with a lot of old technology reprinted covering this subject as well as many other nifty ones.

http://www.lindsaybks.com/

I'm sure many will have fun browsing his catalog.

I'm fortunate to have many of the original books he has copied in my archives. :D :D :D
George Willer

Ironchef
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ironchef » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:47 pm

Keep in mind ,moisture and molten lead, :shock: Bad mixture.

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:34 pm

Ironchef wrote:Keep in mind ,moisture and molten lead, :shock: Bad mixture.

Well...

if a little dampness in the sand didn't kill anyone pouring molten iron, then molten lead should go much easier, being that it's about 3000 degrees cooler..............

Honestly, this can be done happily and safely.......Even if George and I have to do a casting demonstration for you all next year at Redman's.............to prove the point.

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:32 am

i would say, just spend a little more and just buy weights... much easier

C'mon TC, take away man's ability to daydream, and we're "SUNK"

We like challenges , even if we spend $50 to save $1 :D

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Postby kinelbor » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:36 pm

billyandmillie wrote:
i would say, just spend a little more and just buy weights... much easier

C'mon TC, take away man's ability to daydream, and we're "SUNK"

We like challenges , even if we spend $50 to save $1 :D

Rick

I agree Rick! To me the challenge is more enjoyable, and usually end up with tools I dont have too!
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Postby kinelbor » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:37 pm

400lbsonacubseatspring wrote:Even if George and I have to do a casting demonstration for you all next year at Redman's.............to prove the point.

Please do! I would be really interested to see that done!
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:11 pm

kinelbor wrote:
400lbsonacubseatspring wrote:Even if George and I have to do a casting demonstration for you all next year at Redman's.............to prove the point.

Please do! I would be really interested to see that done!

Here comes another long winded story but I don't know how to tell it briefly...

I had been dreaming about the possibility of making my own castings for a long time, but it seemed like an impossible pipe dream until i received an unlikely inspiration. On a visit to the Sauder village museum at Archbold, OH one item on display caught my eye. It was a familiar Craftsman plane, but it was BRASS!

It seems this guy was doing woodworking back in the boondocks somewhere in South America. He didn't have the plane he needed but he did have a spare plane iron. Someone he knew had a plane he could borrow for a short time.

This little country had recently had a violent revolution and he went out in the jungle and collected a bunch of cartridge casings for the brass. He used the borrowed plane as a pattern and rammed up a mold . He melted the brass somehow and poured his own plane.

So... if this guy could do it out in the jungle with very limited resources (but probably a lot of time) why not try it using the equipment in a pretty complete shop? The rest is history. :D :D :D

Wheel weights? No problem! What color? 8) 8) 8)
George Willer