This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Clutch Problems

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Gene Chestnutt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Clutch Problems

Postby Gene Chestnutt » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:44 pm

It has been almost a year since I worked on my Cubs. Finally, got out a few days ago and began tinkering. One thing led to another.....You all know the story. I pick up number 5 (1966 yellow cub with C2 mower) on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. However, my problem today is with my first cub. The engine was completely rebuilt. Starts and runs beautifully. New everything. After I brought it home from the shop last January, I put it in the shed where it has remained until this week. Engine still starts and runs fine. Problem is with the clutch. When I depress the clutch pedal fully, it stalls the engine. If I depress the clutch pedal about half way, I can engage the transmission normally. Also, there is excessive noise in the rear while idliing. The TR bearing was replaced while the engine was rebuilt and the all lubricating fluids were replaced. All thoughts and suggestions are welcome. Thanks
Gene Chestnutt

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:54 am

Gene
However, my problem today is with my first cub.

When I depress the clutch pedal fully, it stalls the engine

A couple quick questions. (1)What year is your first cub, and (2)when you depress the clutch pedal fully, does the engine just die easy or is there some sort of resistance or noises in the clutch area?

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Gene Chestnutt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Gene Chestnutt » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:34 pm

Rick,
To answer your questions. This Cub is a 53 model. I ended up with three 1953 Cubs, a 73 and soon a 66 if all goes well. When I depress the clutch pedal fully there is some resistance and some noise and the motor stalls out.
Thanks.
Gene
Gene Chestnutt

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:00 pm

Engine still starts and runs fine

When I depress the clutch pedal fully there is some resistance and some noise and the motor stalls out.

Well, my attempted guess would be the either the TOB is over adjusted and it's holder is hitting the pressure plate , or something broke on the pressure plate and is hitting the TOB holder. You should be able to see up in there from the access hole under the torque tube. (engine off :D ) Have someone sit on the seat and work the pedal in and out.

The lo-boy that I did a clutch job on had a similar problem. It had a new TOB installed, but the previous mechanic over adjusted the travel, and it chewed up the new TOB and bent the holder when it hit the pressure plate. I ended up buying another $75 TOB and straightened the holder. It also knocked the adjustment off on the pressure plate fingers.

I'm assuming everything worked fine last year when you parked it, and is now giving you fits, so it shouldn't be adjustment, but something let loose on the pressure plate.

My .02

WHERE'S the experts at???????

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:11 pm

billyandmillie wrote:WHERE'S the experts at???????

Rick

One of them just offered his input. Didn't you? :D

You might also consider looking for a mouse nest while you're in there.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:36 pm

First, check your free-travel on the clutch pedal. The fact that it shifts fine when you push the pedal only half way tells me that the pressure plate is probably okay, but something is way out of adjustment.

Similar situation: My LoBoy wouldn't shift because the pressure plate wasn't releasing completely. Adjusted the three clutch fingers per Rudi's procedure. Just 1/4 turn caused the tractor to emit a grinding noise when the pedal was depressed completely. Measured pedal travel. Adjusting the fingers even by that slight amount took away too much free travel on the clutch pedal, and it was now pushing the pressure plate too hard, causing the grinding noise. Resetting the free travel fixed the grinding noise and now the tractor shifts like a dream.

I can see where having zero free travel would cause the clutch pedal to push into the pressure plate so hard that it would stop the tractor's engine. Even properly adjusted, there's a slight reduction in RPM due to the drag on the graphite throw out bearing.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:46 pm

I think what Matt said is that you can adjust it at the pedal. I know when I adjusted mine (1" travel) by the book it would hit the fingers (according to the guys on the chat). So as a temporary measure I just increased the travel so it wouldn't hit. Works OK and I just haven't had the time to adjust the fingers on the clutch or even look at it.

There is a slot on the pedal where you can adjust it. I think it takes a 5/8" wrench. Just take a look under the platform....

May not be the right answer, but the nasty noise is gone and it was very easy.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:05 pm

The only thing that doesn't make sense to me, is, if it was ok when it was parked last year, the adjustment shouldn't have changed, unless something is going on inside the torque tube. If an adjustment loosened, it would be the opposite problem(pedal too loose).

Rick

Gene Chestnutt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Gene Chestnutt » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:40 pm

To be perfectlly honest, I am not sure it was working correctly last January when I parked it. I had just came out of the hospital after an angioplasty procedure and between getting used to a bunch of medications and restricted diet I wasn't really paying as much attention as I normally would to such things. Guess tomorrow if weather permits I will get a flashlight and take another closer look. Thanks guys.
Gene
Gene Chestnutt