This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Lifting Bales of Hay

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jillm
10+ Years
10+ Years

Lifting Bales of Hay

Postby jillm » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:49 pm

Does anyone know if you can lift bales of hay with a farmall cub international 1956. The bales are the round large ones, also how can you do it without hydraulics i.e. on a winch or something

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ron Luebke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30145
eBay ID: 9716ron

Postby Ron Luebke » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:06 pm

my guess is that the cub is to light in the front for that :( doing it with a winch seems to be a hard way to do it . adding hydrolics to a cub is not that hard to do. i have used a ford 5000 to move round bales and with them still a little green a slight incline and the front wheels wasn't on the ground.then ypu would steer with the brakes :wink: :!:
TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT !!!

' its just plain ole Ron '

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:08 pm

The only way to safely attempt this would be to use a block and tackle to gain mechanical advantage. Most large bales would approach the weight of a cub or come close enough to be unsafe. There is certainly no safe way to lift one with a loader or similar implement directly with the cub.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:15 pm

You can use a "Tumble Bug" bale cart to move them with your cub. Don't try going up or down any steep hills though.
Best,
Mike

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:05 pm

I bale 4 foot round bales and they can weigh as much as 1000 lbs. I would not recommend even trying to move them with a Cub. Maybe you could put a piece of steel rod thru the center and use it as a axle and roll them. But there is no way a Cub could pick one up.

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:42 pm

The real question is......how much weight can you add to the front of a cub without breaking something at the pivot point, which in this case would be the rear axle...........

Probably the only person who truly knows this, and what you could do to modify/reinforce a cub to do this particular duty would be rick prentice...

Here is what I do know....

The rear rockshaft with my modified hydraulics will pick up somewhere around 500 lbs, at that point, the lines burst. The front of the tractor (with a single set of front weights) does not lift up.

Trying to pick up the back of an A (1800 lbs) does not work. It begins to , and then the cub stalls -- this, I believe is too much for the little cub pump, even with my big hydraulic cylinder......the front wheels do come off the ground with one set of weights...the axle does not snap.....at least not right away. (This was with repaired lines....) I may at some point replace my 2" cylinder with a larger diameter one, so I can do more stupid things that get me into more trouble.........

I think it would be possible to modify a cub for this duty, but for your own safety, and for that of the cub, it would have to be reinforced in some way....perhaps with a subframe that adds the counterbalance weight......

subframe extending from the implement mounts on the torque tube through the drawbar mounts right through to the rear mount for the bale spear. Weight added beneath the belly of the tractor, as well as the front wheels, for even distribution and balance, keeping your center of gravity low.......

and, of course, the hydraulic system, as is standard, will not do the job.....you would need to design a much heavier system.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Lifting Bales of Hay

Postby Rudi » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:04 pm

jillm wrote:Does anyone know if you can lift bales of hay with a farmall cub international 1956. The bales are the round large ones, also how can you do it without hydraulics i.e. on a winch or something

Jill:

In my opinion, and it is just that... this is not one of those things that you can safely and sensibly do with a Cub. It was never designed to handle round bales. Now, hauling around 1/2 dozen square bales on your Kodiak Karry-All, is do-able :!: :idea: :wink: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

bear4work
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bear4work » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:17 pm

The only way to move round bales with a cub is using a trailer. It is too light to move those. They weigh about as much as the cub does, if not more. I use a Farmall H with a loader and forks. Put some weight on the back and I can use it. Works pretty good. Hope you can find a way to move 'em... :D
a few old Gravely L's

1969 Cub Cadet 126 with 42" mower - sold :(

a green lawn tractor

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:56 pm

Hi Jill. Just like everyone mentioned, they're probably too heavy. When the backhoe was finally mounted, I decided to see how light the front end was. The backhoe itself weighed 950#, according to Woods. With the backhoe somewhat extended, you could lift the front end of the cub with two fingers :shock: . That's when the next project was making the front loader for some added weight. Woods recommends that any tractor with a backhoe be equiped with the front loader too.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Clem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48463
Tractors Owned: 1956 FAST HITCH CUB
MODEL 10 CUB TRAILER
2 1950 Demonstrators

Postby Clem » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:43 am

Rick, I was waiting for your reply on this subject 8)

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:11 pm

If it was me i would use a trailer if i didn't have any big hills to go up and down. Remember you probably have enough power to pull it but do you have the brakes to stop it.
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Postby Brandon Webb » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:40 pm

You might be able to create a scissor lift that works off the rockshaft similiar to a kodiak carry all. Just to pick them up, but it would be awfully hard on the hydraulics if it didn't just blow them out. You'd probably just ride a wheelie though. I wouldn't try it on anything besides level ground. Cubs weren't designed for that kind of weight. I'd say if they were bailed tight, you'd have a fun time just spearing them without the cub spinning. Brandon.

Larry in IN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46750
Tractors Owned: '59 cub running
'48 'H' running?
'54 '400' project
'67 806' project
?? '706' project
'70' 826G Hydro 'every day power! 1 of 14
'71' MM G1050 - Big iron
'51' JD 'R' project
'61 JD 3010 project
'48 Allis 'G'
'??' F-12 my son's

Postby Larry in IN » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:53 pm

Jill,
If you really want to use the Cub on big round bales, Virginia Mike is on the right track.
Can you find an apparatus like the Amish and other horse farmers use? They have figured out how to handle round bales with a rig pulled by horses, so if you don't have excess hills, maybe that would allow the Cub to do what you want.
Good Luck!
One of the few advantages of growing older is that I finally realized that I haven't made ALL the stupid mistakes! Yet!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:00 am

After all this, I must ask how large these round bales are? They could be anywhere from 300lbs to a ton, as they have made a few small "large round" balers over the years. A Cub should have no trouble with a little 300-pounder on the back if all you're doing is moving a few around the yard once in a while.

Redman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Redman » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:45 am

:?:
Last edited by Redman on Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Farmall Cub”