This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Front Wheel Bearings and Seals

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI
Circle of Safety: Y

Front Wheel Bearings and Seals

Postby BIGHOSS » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:00 am

One front wheel of Uncle Bob's Cub needs new bearings. TM Tractor Parts has a comple kit with bearings and seals, p/n 360118R93. I soaked the hub in kerosene to clean off the 60 year old crud. In doing so, the felt washer now leaks oil.

Question 1...Has this ruined the felt washer or when it drys will it still hold back the grease or was its function to keep dust from oil seal?

Question 2...I haven't checked with the local NAPA, but will they have replacements including seal and washer?

Question 3...I have gentlly tapped on inner bearing race, as the manual suggests, but it has not moved. How do I get it off? Bigger hammer? Puller?
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:19 am

The felt washer is a dust seal so it should be OK when it dries out. NAPA should have the seal and bearings but not likely the felt washer.
Gentle tapping never works for me. A bigger hammer usually does. But a puller is, no doubt, the best way to go.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:24 pm

The last 3 inner axle bearings I've done had to be cut off. Be extra careful what you do as the axle is pretty soft material. If you try a puller be sure to protect threads with the nut. To cut em off use a whiz wheel at a 45 degree angle across the inner race till your about 75-85% through. Then take a coal chisel and split it. Sometimes that is the fastest way.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:08 pm

The bearings are pretty common and easy to come by... but I will say the kit is a great value.... includes both bearings and races, the the felt washer, seal and whatever that long sleeve is on the inside. It was a bit over $50 a couple of years ago. And CNH always has quality bearings too. That is what Tom would sell you.

Yep it took me a while to get the inside bearing off the spindle too.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”