This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wisconsin Hist. Soc. Cub pictures

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Wisconsin Hist. Soc. Cub pictures

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:38 pm

eBay item #'s 320030025563 and 320030155119 show a couple of old Cub pictures, one modified extensively for detasseling, the other a Cub and truck on a float that I've seen posted here before. I only made it to page 13, so there may be some more in there somewhere.

Bob

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:28 pm

If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:36 pm

Hi Bob. I think there's more on page 27 and 28.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Ron Luebke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30145
eBay ID: 9716ron

Postby Ron Luebke » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:54 pm

wouldn't it be cool to se one of those de-tassling cubs restored and at a cubfest :?: 8)
TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT !!!

' its just plain ole Ron '

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:37 pm

ron luebke wrote:wouldn't it be cool to se one of those de-tassling cubs restored and at a cubfest :?: 8)

Ron,

It sure would be... but can you imagine hauling one? Those de-tasselers used around here in my memory pre-dated the Cubs and were based on old Fords. Mostly model T's. The T's were used for a number of uses. They were in high demand. In some cases a really good one could fetch $20.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:49 pm

what is detasseling??? i looked at the pic from john's link and the women werent doing anything. now on the otherhand when i think of women and tassles i dont picture fields or tractors! :wink:
john

evielboweviel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43130
eBay ID: evilboweviel

Postby evielboweviel » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:57 pm

growing seed corn you need to detassle the female variety leaving only the male variety to pollinate the seed corn
Ron

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:05 pm

OK, now I'm confused. I was under the impression that the squiggly tassels on the very top of the stalks drop pollen down onto the hair that grows out of the ears(each hair goes to a kernel) and that's where the pollenation takes place. Around here, once the farmers plant the corn, they don't step foot back into the fields till harvest time. So what's with this male, female separation stuff :?:

:shock: Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:18 pm

billyandmillie wrote:OK, now I'm confused. I was under the impression that the squiggly tassels on the very top of the stalks drop pollen down onto the hair that grows out of the ears(each hair goes to a kernel) and that's where the pollenation takes place. Around here, once the farmers plant the corn, they don't step foot back into the fields till harvest time. So what's with this male, female separation stuff :?:

:shock: Rick

The separation was part of growing hybrid seed corn. :D
George Willer

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:26 pm

Here's a biology lesson!

This technique is for producing seed corn, not a regular corn crop. There are 2 different varieties of corn being grown to produce a hybrid seed for next year's planting. So, to cross-pollenate the corn to get the desired hybrid, you use the tassles from one variety to pollenate the ears on the other. Removing the tassles prevents self-pollenation, which is what typically happens in the field.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:08 pm

evielboweviel wrote:growing seed corn you need to detassle the female variety leaving only the male variety to pollinate the seed corn
Ron

My questions is:

How DO YOU tell the difference between the Female and the Male corn stalk :!: :idea: :?: :roll: :shock: :? :shock: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:26 pm

Rudi wrote:
evielboweviel wrote:growing seed corn you need to detassle the female variety leaving only the male variety to pollinate the seed corn
Ron

My questions is:

How DO YOU tell the difference between the Female and the Male corn stalk :!: :idea: :?: :roll: :shock: :? :shock: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rudi,

It's fairly easy. Both sexes are on the same stalk. The male part is up really far, the highest part on the stalk and the female part, if fertilized becomes an ear. :shock: I know... you're pulling our legs! 8)
George Willer

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:01 pm

From a guy who spent part of an exciting :x summer detassiling corn - walking the rows- none of those fancy machines to ride on.

Dark green tassles were pulled. Light green tassles were left on the stalk.

Eugene

Return to “Farmall Cub”