This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tired C60

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Gator
10+ Years
10+ Years

Tired C60

Postby Gator » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:29 am

Well, it's finally time to tear down the tired old C60 and breathe some new life into her. I've attempted to do it for the past 5 winters and it just didn't materialize. I continued to work her in spite of a vast array of problems including front and rear oil seal leaks, a weak and oil consuming #3 cylinder, low oil pressure and a rod knock. She finally gave up a couple of weeks ago when I went to crank her up and she started but immediately quit. All attempts to restart failed and after checking both spark and fuel, It became obvious that there was compression on the intake stroke and a notable cough coming from the air filter. I can only assume that I've lost teeth on a gear and the timing is out. I guess it just goes to show how darn quit proof the Cub engines are. Any other mill would have given up 5 years ago when I was still just THINKING about the rebuild. I'd be curious to know just how many hours some of the "Cub Brothers" logged on their tractors before rebuilding. :o
'68 Cub Lo-Boy w/ Woods belly mower

kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Postby kinelbor » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:55 am

Did you own the engine since it was new?
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:01 am

Gator,

As the operator, you know your engine.

I did a rebuild on my '67 Loboy back in '04, glad I did.

I don't have alot of hours on it yet but it works great.
Just Do It !

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:09 am

I have seen some 40 & 50 plus year-old engines that still ran fine and had never seen a rebuild. Proper care and maintenance is the key.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Gator
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Gator » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:34 pm

I've had the little Cub for about 11 or 12 years and purchased it in spite of it's many ailments which consisted of most most everything that I"ve mentioned but just not at the advanced stage that they are now. Over the years and in spite of the obvious wear and tear that the old gal has on her, I can honestly say that I've developed a love for that little tractor that would be hard to replace. It's done more work worn out than some tractors could do brand new and deserves every $$$ in parts that I put into her. It will be a HAPPY day when I climb back in the seat again!!! :D

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:49 pm

Gator, it is rare, but I know of one other cub that had a similar happening, and the key that aligns the gear on the crankshft had sheared. The gear is a press fit, with the key being used as an alignment tool
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Gator
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Gator » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:13 am

John, a sheared key certainly makes more sense than busted teeth but hopefully I'll find out soon. I got lucky this week on ebay and did a "buy now" on a brand new standard crankshaft complete with original International bearings. I have plans this weekend to build an additional and much needed workbench and will begin the tear-down within the next couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to devoting some well deserved attention to the little Cub since it has been such a great contributor to the maintenance of our 18 acres. As I get deeper into the rebuild, I'm sure I'll have questions and will require some help from the forum and I appreciate everyones willingness to share information.

Return to “Farmall Cub”