This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

tools for tune up

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
doug v
10+ Years
10+ Years

tools for tune up

Postby doug v » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:09 am

First of all, thanks to everyone for your input last week, Yesterday I revived my cub by buying a TSC 'tune up kit' and installing new points & condesor, rotor & cap. I'm a youngster from the electronic ignition era and never done it before, but it was nice to have it fire up on the first try. I do have a few questions though:

1) is there any other way to get the breaker in the right spot for setting the point gap than pulling the starter and hoping it stops on the high spot? I've got no hand crank- how did they do it with an auto????

2) am I just clumsy or is really hard to get at the screws for the condesor & points- can't use a regular sized screwdriver 'cause the oil filter is in the way, and the dang screw keeps falling off and you can't see anything anyway. Any special tools that would make it easier? Magnetic stubby screwdriver? I ended up using the insert from a '4 in 1' screwdriver turning it with a 5/16th wrench. Is this why they sell 'ignition wrenches'?

anyway, its good to have the cub running again to get things ready for winter. I am planting 2800 tree seedlings in the spring & want to get herbicide sprayed this fall before the grass goes dormant. Made a spray outfit from an ATV sprayer in my trailer with a small 12 v battery, run the hose up to spray nozzle tied to a piece of square metal in the front implement hole; my 6 yr old boy sits in the tralier to switch the power on and off, and he gets a nice ride around with me - works great!

Good luck to all---- Doug V

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:27 am

Doug, you should be able to turn the engine over by just tugging on the V-Belt of the generator. Another way is to put the tractor into gear, jack up one of the rear wheels, and turn it which will also turn your engine over.

For the tiny screws inside, there are some "Special" screwdrivers made that have a set of small arms on them that will hold the head of the screw onto the screwdriver blade, but the best one I have found has a spring-loaded mechanism in it that causes a wedge to pinch the slot within the head of the screw. Sears calls them a "Screw Starter" and the part number is #41024.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product. ... Cookie=Yes
Mike Duncan

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:21 pm

I find it easier to remove the distributor, then install the points on the bench. Fat clumsy fingers, shakey hands.

1) Rotate the engine by hand until the TDC mark is at the pointer and the rotor is at the #1 plug wire tower.

2) Remove and work on distributor.

3) Reinstall distributor with the rotor pointing to the #1 plug wire position, tighten down bolts just to the point that you can rotate the distributor by hand, snug.

4) Rotate the distributor clockwise to open the points. Rotate the distributor counter clockwise until the points just close. You can use a test light or vom meter to check the closing of the points. I usually do the rotation bit two or three times to get the points set (firing position) correctly. Tighten down the distributor. Your are ready to fire her up.

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:45 pm

My dad told me he has a point setting kit,( I'm going to get a hold of it this weekend ), that has a sleeve that goes over the point cam thus not making it necessary to locate the high point on the cam and the feeler quages compensate for the thickness of the sleeve. I too however remove the distributor when tuning up and work on it on the bench.

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:20 am

I removed the distributor for the first time to put points in yesterday
and it made things so much easier to do. Thanks to that how to forum.
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:52 pm

I did mine on the bench, but only because I had it off to clean it up anyway. There is a similar screwdriver to that one from Sears that I used to use when I was was a technician, it had a split blade with a slide that forced em together.

One trick I did learn was to engage the PTO and use that to turn the engine... pulley for the Woods mower helped to give me enough torque.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cecil » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:55 pm

I had the same problem with the condenser screw the first time I changed points in a Cub. I finally got a stubby screwdriver and superglued the screw to the screwdriver. Worked great. Since then I mark the distributor for timing turn it to #1 cylider and remove it and do the points on the bench. Sooo much easier.

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:27 am

P.o. put the condenser on the out side of the distributor.It seems to work ok there.
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

Return to “Farmall Cub”