This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub essential tools

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:21 pm

Well MIKE...I'll bet ya NEVER EXPECTED ALL THOSE SUGGESTIONS just fer askin' the question: " What Tools, etc. would you..." :!: :shock:

While we're at it...let's NOT FORGET:

A HEATED, AIR CONDITIONED 50 Feet WIDE by 150 Feet Long WORK SHOP.

An Air-Operated TIRE Machine...A 12 Foot by 20 foot INCLOSED, DUST-FREE Spray Booth...a 5 foot by 10 foot by 4 feet deep POLY-MOLDED Electrolysis Tank...a 15 foot by 18 foot enclosed MEDIA-BLASTIN' ROOM...
A Gravity-Flow, Ceiling-Suspended 55 Gallon Drum of KROIL (with fine needle air-equiped spraygun...

HAVE I LEFT ANYTHING ELSE OUT GUYS :?: :?: :?: :?
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:21 pm

silverta16 wrote:Those inexpensive farmer fixes sure make it hard on us restorer's. I understand some farmers "Fix" things in the field to get the job done, sometimes you can't run to town. But permantly destroying something's original design, like taking a welder to the front spindles and steering arms, I don't feel there's any excuse for that. Brandon.

Brandon,

You're just too young to have gained the important experience. If there had been a welder close enough and cheap enough to weld the arms to the spindles on the !#$%^&* JD GP (and if my opinion mattered) maybe I wouldn't have developed such a hatred for them.

Just imagine sending some teen ager to the far corner of the upper 40 every time the temporary repair failed to carry all the stuff necessary to jack the !#$%^& tractor up to get the front wheels back so the tractor would steer once again.

Us restorers have a piece of cake compared to what we had to do just to get through the day.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:26 pm

1--Roll of bailing wire.
2--Pair of water pump pliers.

Back when, if a farmer was lucky enough to have a welding machine everything would have been welded. When the steering arm got loose on my Dad's Super A in the 60s, he called me over one day and told me he wanted me to weld the steering arm to the steering shaft. I told him I would replace it but he wouldn't hear of it. All the spindles and everything else was welded so he wanted that welded also. So I got a 309 SS rod and proceeded to stick it up, in, and around and daubed it on. Grease and all. When I got it in 1977, I proceeded to get rid of all the welds and now can say there isn't one weld anywhere on it.

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:50 pm

Of all the glorious tools that I see here the main ones missing are 2 brass punches. One large and one small. You can beat the daylights out of something stuck and still not damage it. Real good for those bolts that have to be driven out. Saves the heck out of the threads.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:06 pm

silverta16 wrote:Those inexpensive farmer fixes sure make it hard on us restorer's. I understand some farmers "Fix" things in the field to get the job done, sometimes you can't run to town. But permantly destroying something's original design, like taking a welder to the front spindles and steering arms, I don't feel there's any excuse for that. Brandon.

Brandon, while I agree with you in principle, and like to do it "right the first time," There are times when a little "rigging up" is perfectly acceptable, and in fact necessary in my book. There is no more helpless feeling than gazing at a field to be planted or harvested, and knowing one small part is keeping a machine from doing it. Sometimes the machine simply HAS to run. The farmer deals with an entirely different set of priorities than a restorer does. He is often facing impending bad weather, razor-thin profit margins, etc. Real world example: a friend of ours is currently picking our corn. We had about 140 acres this year and he has about 50-60 left to go. So far, his "main" combine has developed a bad knock, (probably a spun bearing) so he is running his "backup" machine, until his other one is fixed, a 6600 Deere that is older than he is. (And probably older than me, I'm a '74 model and it is a '73 or '74.) Well, day before yesterday, it sheared a pin on the sprocket driving the clean grain elevator chain, and before he discovered the problem, it filled the entire cleaning system (basically the whole back end of the combine full of shelled corn. Replaced the roll pin, and all seemed well. Well, yesterday it did it again--twice. So he finally gave up and welded the sprocket to the shaft. Was it the best way to repair it? Obviously not. However, when you look at the cost of a new auger, shaft, sprockets, and probably a elevator chain, plus the time it would take to do all that repair, the cost of a couple welding rods makes a lot of sense. A little work with a torch once harvest is over will put things back right. Sometimes you "gotta do what you gotta do."

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:19 pm

'Country' Elliott wrote: HAVE I LEFT ANYTHING ELSE OUT GUYS :?: :?: :?: :?

DUCT TAPE, THREE ROLLS

Refrigerator for the beverages.

Parts washer.

Photogenic calendars to hang of the shop wall - Uh, tractors or old cars.

Old sofa - large enough to take a nap on.

I'm still thinking.

Eugene

Little Indy
10+ Years
10+ Years
eBay ID: falco-de-fiume

Postby Little Indy » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:53 pm

a small frig for a cool one and a chair to sitr down and admire your work

Richard
Si hoc legere scis,nimium eruditionis habes.

kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Postby kinelbor » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:28 pm

Add big air compressor, water trap, and a air paint sprayer. I used a detail gun and it worked great for the Cubs size if you dont mind adding paint more often. The small sandblaster (50lbs) is very handy! Dont forget safety, NIOSH resperator, safety glasses, ear protection (for air tools and angle grinding) and full face shield. Also, some type of hand crank, either an original or homemade unit. I used the jack crank from my old pickup, it works great. 8)
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

sviennadan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby sviennadan » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:34 pm

Only thing I see missing is cold beer and roasted possum!

'Country' Elliott wrote:Well MIKE...I'll bet ya NEVER EXPECTED ALL THOSE SUGGESTIONS just fer askin' the question: " What Tools, etc. would you..." :!: :shock:

While we're at it...let's NOT FORGET:

A HEATED, AIR CONDITIONED 50 Feet WIDE by 150 Feet Long WORK SHOP.

An Air-Operated TIRE Machine...A 12 Foot by 20 foot INCLOSED, DUST-FREE Spray Booth...a 5 foot by 10 foot by 4 feet deep POLY-MOLDED Electrolysis Tank...a 15 foot by 18 foot enclosed MEDIA-BLASTIN' ROOM...
A Gravity-Flow, Ceiling-Suspended 55 Gallon Drum of KROIL (with fine needle air-equiped spraygun...

HAVE I LEFT ANYTHING ELSE OUT GUYS :?: :?: :?: :?
All this proves is that one gnome pounding on the keyboard for years still will not produce the works of Shakespeare.
No animals were hurt in the rending of this page, but 18 queries were mangled in about 3.874 seconds.