This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Did I blow my head gasket?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:57 am

teh oil being that low would have caused higher friction and loss of compression due to lack of lubrication. The governor would just keep opneing the throttle to try and compenste. Once you ahve it back to the point you are confident to use it, keep an eye on the head. I have heard that overheating is a major causie of them cracking.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18972
eBay ID: ohawiseguyeh
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby awander » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:29 pm

Well, the darned thing seems to be running better than ever! I topped up the oil, and filled the cooling system, and excpet for the head now being black instead of red, I wouldn't even know that I had done such a foolish thing. I used it today to give the kids some trailer rides-i will have to haul some firewood over the nedxt few weeks, so I will give old "Wile E." a good workout and see what happens.

I ordered a head gasket from TM today just in case.
Andy Wander
UBE, PA
'52 Farmall Cub "Wile E."
'72 Int'l Cub "Bugs Backhoe"
"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

Little Indy
10+ Years
10+ Years
eBay ID: falco-de-fiume

Postby Little Indy » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:00 am

This has brought up an intesting question. predrive check list.
Pilots typically go throught a preflight check list. I have one that I use. I would be interested in the check list somepeople use. (I carry in a small note book so that I don't have a senior moment)
Here is mine (not including checks depending on implement type and special checks if I start by crank)

1 check the oil (by dip dtick inspection)
2 check the coolant level
3 check the tyres (quick visual only)
4 check fuel bowel and turn fuel cut off lever ( I use it to stop the engine with last use)
5 check fuel level with fancy guage (dowel)
6 check to see if transmission is in neutral (it id a good thing cubs are slow in first gear)
7 check to see if brake is set
8 check choke
9 check trottle
10 check fan belt (I left one off my 140 once)
start engine
11 check oil pressure
12 quick visual of motor
on to seat and away we go
13 release brake (funny how one can forget that)

Thanks Guys

Tichard
Si hoc legere scis,nimium eruditionis habes.

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby awander » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:06 am

Yeah, the brake gets me a lot-I drove around for almost an hour the other day with the brake locked on.

So back to the problem I had with overheating-I wanted to take a look and see how hard it would be to replace the head gasket. I thought also I would check out the valve clearances, since that is something i have not yet done on this engine. To get the valve/tappet cover off, it seemed like taking off the carb and the manifold would make things easier. Carb came off with no troublkle, and then I moved to the manifold. This is where everybody has trouble, i thought to myself. Imagine my surprise when the nuts came off easily, and so did the manifold and gaskets.

The valves/tappets look nice and clean, oily, and I even see that I have teh exhaust valve rotators! At least, one of each pair of valves rotates as it is opened.

So I think I will check the valve clearances, butoon the valve cover back on, and then move to the head.

Am I missing something, or is the worst part of removing and replacing the head the fact that I have to drain some coolant to get the level below the head(unless I want to get all wet)? Since this is a flathead engine, it looks pretty simple. Any comments or tips?

Andy
Andy Wander

UBE, PA

"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:26 am

I JUST GOT DONE ON A RE RING AND VALVE JOB ON A 1975 185 LOW BOY.GOT NEW RINGS,ROD BEARINGS AND VALVE JOB[SPRINGS LAPPED VALVES CLAEN UP].BOY IS THAT A NICE RUNNING TRACTOR NOW.CUTS GRASS LIKE A %^$%^%^$$%,THE GUY SAYS.ABOUT $155.00 IN STUFF.EVEN I CAN DO IT [SECOND ONE I'VE DONE NOW]KETCHAM
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:03 pm

awander wrote:Am I missing something, or is the worst part of removing and replacing the head the fact that I have to drain some coolant to get the level below the head(unless I want to get all wet)? Since this is a flathead engine, it looks pretty simple. Any comments or tips? Andy

The head removal is a fairly simple job. Removing the hood will be the biggest obstacle.

If the engine has no problems, I'd leave the head on the engine.

Eugene

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby awander » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:22 am

I'm wondering how much "work" i would have to do with the tractor for the head problem to show up, if there is one.

I have a Halloween party where about 50 kids will be wanting hayrides, coming up on 10/29, and i want to make sure old "Wile E." doesn't have any problems. I was thinking of loading up thge wagon with some firewood(which I have to transport anyway) and just driving the trail about a dozen times to see if the overheating/loss of power happens again.

The other reason for maybe taking the head off is that Wile E. has always smoked some after warming up-it is a bluish smoke out pf the eexhaust, and only happens at low throttke openings-if the engine revs up, the smoke goes away. i was thinking that this was probably valve problems-is that a good surmise? Of couse, i don't really want to do a valve job between jnow and 10/29-I've never done one before, and I don't have lots of spare time.
Andy Wander

UBE, PA

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:07 am

http://www.centuryperformance.com/vacuum.asp

Fairly inexpensive diagnostic tool. The vacuum connection for the Cub is on the side of the manifold.

Eugene

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby awander » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:14 am

Thanks for that link, Eugene!
Andy Wander

UBE, PA

Return to “Farmall Cub”