This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Electric Question.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Electric Question.

Postby Harold R » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:17 am

Please pardon if this has been asked before, but I've used the search and couldn't come up with a previous thread............my Dad took his generator with a cut-out to the shop for a refurb. Their fix was to replace the cut-out with a new voltage regulator. Dad's tractor is a '48 with a mag, lights, and 4-position switch. Can we still use the 4-position switch, and just not use the L/H lugs on the switch? Just wire it using the 6v with voltage reg. diagram? :? I guess working cut/outs are hard to find???

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:19 am

HR - yes you can. The light switch will function as a light switch only and the regulator will control the charge rate. Use the late model cub wiring diagram to wire the charging circuit.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:26 am

Thanks BD. He'll be glad to hear that. 8) 8)

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Electrical

Postby BIGHOSS » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:25 pm

I have a related question. A local re-build shop can provide a one wire alternater for about $40 that will fit a Cub. He also has a plug on adapter that transforms the output from 12 to 6 volts. So, you don't change anything else. You still have a 6 volt system, as for lights, ignition, etc.

My question is, will the 1947 light switch still work and not interfer with the alternater charging? :?:
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:54 pm

The switch itself will still function as a light switch. The portion of the switch that controls the charge rate with a generator / cut-out will not be connected when the wiring is changed for the alternator. I would be interested in what his "plug-on adaptor" is.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:40 pm

As BD stated, I'd like to hear about this guys "Plug-In" adapter he is offering. My guess is that he is considering installing a resistor into the circuit.
Mike Duncan

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Postby BIGHOSS » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:48 pm

I plan to go back and check further on this. When I was there before, I told him that I wanted to leave it 6 volt. He said "all I have to do is plug this into the alternator". He proceeded to pick up a white ceramic block (probably a resistor) and plugged it into the alternator and said, "there now you have a 6 volt alternator. This was done very quickly. He just popped it into place.

I will try to get p/n of resistor.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:05 pm

BIGHOSS wrote:I plan to go back and check further on this. When I was there before, I told him that I wanted to leave it 6 volt. He said "all I have to do is plug this into the alternator". He proceeded to pick up a white ceramic block (probably a resistor) and plugged it into the alternator and said, "there now you have a 6 volt alternator. This was done very quickly. He just popped it into place.

I will try to get p/n of resistor.

By any chance could it have looked like this?

If so then it is a Ballast Resistor and is used in the 12 volt conversion that you will see in Bob Melville's Generic Delco "single wire" alternator conversion Schematics..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Postby BIGHOSS » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:26 pm

Rudi,

It very well could have been this resistor. I was not close enough to really to get a good look. I looked at the 12 volt one wire conversion that you linked, but did not see one that used a 6 volt battery.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:35 pm

Here's the can of worms he didn't mention... in order for the resistor to do its' job the load and resistor must be a fairly close match. Running with only distributor connected would require one value resistor. Running with headlights and ignition would require a different resistor. Add the work light or change the candlepower of the bulbs and you open another can of worms.

In any case even if you match the resistor to the load you plan to use forever you will be throwing away half the output of the alternator as heat in the resistor. I don't think he has a true workable plan. :(
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:23 pm

George is absolutely correct for a resistor in the power circuit. But I have used one 6 volt converted alternator on a tractor. It works perfectly and the battery life thus far is extended significantly. The one I used has no external parts, looks just like the 12 volt original ones. The ordinary resistor would have only two electrical connections. The picture posted has four connections. I do not know exactly how the conversion 6 volt internal regulator works. But it might involve the addition of resistor in the regulator circuit rather than the power circuit. But I remain somewhat skeptical.
Luck favors those who are prepared

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm

Tht unit may be contorling the exciter circuit in the alternator, not a resister in the output.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!