This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

potential Loboy purchase

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Davesaver
10+ Years
10+ Years

potential Loboy purchase

Postby Davesaver » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:01 pm

I'm going to look at a Loyboy tonight after work. I don't know anything about it other than it is a single point hitch and has a front loader. The engine turns over but does not fire. Has sat in a barn for the last 10 years. No idea as of yet what the asking price might be. Possibility of a trade for a bridge crane I have or partial trade plus cash.

Anything special to look out for on a loboy than any other Cub or tractor. I have read here a lot of opinions of not using a front loader at all on a Cub. do any of the conditions or concerns change with it being a Loboy?

I need it to load and move bark chips and dirt. Don't need to move it all at once I can make many trips and and stay with in necessary limitations.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

DaveL
Dave Saver ? Because I save everything. Just ask my wife.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:43 pm

Dave - the same precautions apply to lo-boys that apply to standard cubs. As far as the loader goes, good common sense will keep you out of trouble. As long as you don't push the limits you'll be fine.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:08 am

Yep, chant, "My Cub is not a bulldozer. My Cub is not a bulldozer," and you'll be just fine :D Loose dirt and mulch is well within the capabilities of this setup.

If this is the 1000 loader, this tractor would be a good deal at $2500, IMHO.

Davesaver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Davesaver » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:29 am

I only got a quick look as we we needed to get back over to my place to evaluate the bridge crane for trading purposes.

It's a 1959. It's Red and has the Farmall emblems on the hood and the oval cub Loboy emblems on the side of the radiator shroud.

Sadly it's not an IH 1000 loader. It's the round tube type that straddles both sides. Don't know the brand. It has a little extension on the bucket that bolts to the bottom of the bucket. Don't know if it's orginal or something a PO fabricated.

It has a fast hitch and some sort of bizzare third party grader blade that connects to the fast hitch out the back. It also comes with a carry all. I didn't notice if it was a fast hitch version or not. Did they make a fast hitch version?

No other implements.

Other than the seat, battery box, and tool box its straight but has surface rust and pitting. Looks to be a complete overhaul.

I did not have my camera with me. Will go back this weekend for closer look and take some pictures. The hand crank is there and the motor turns over. I'm going to take a battery if the wiring looks sound enough I'll try hooking it up and seeing if the starter wants to spin. Don't want to disturb it too much until I can check all the vitals. Hopefully pictures Monday.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:52 am

Dave,

If it has set for 10 years, I would take the plugs out and spray a few seconds worth of Kroil or PB Blaster in each of the cylinders before cranking, either with the starter or the hand crank. That may help to protect the cylinder walls if there is any rust in them. I would try the hand crank first.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:17 am

I would also crack the engine pan drain plug to see what the first thing to dribble out is. If it is water or sludge, drain it before turning the engine much. I assume you already looked at the dipstick and didn't find anything too foul.

IH made a Fast-Hitch platform carrier. Several companies made loaders similar to what you described. Almost everyone that made a manure bucket for a loader also made a tine cover for using it with loose material.

It should have "International" emblems on the side of the hood. Raised metal oval Lo-Boy emblems are correct.

Davesaver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Davesaver » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:48 am

The guy just called and wants to do the trade. Including the bridge crane it will be $900.00 total out of my pocket. I think I'm goin for it. I need to get the bridge crane out of my yard and the 59 as it sits has to be worth $900.00.

Jim good advice I have Kroil. The oil on the dipstick was a little low and very black. When we moved the engine with the crank we just wiggled it
back and forth to see if it was froze up.

He wants to bring it over tonight. He lives just a couple of miles from me.

Thanks for the advice,

DaveL

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:36 pm

Hey Dave...GO FOR IT SON :D Ya got a GOOD DEAL GOIN' ON ! 8)

Drain any skunky gas...Add FRESH gas and SEAFOAM (about 1/2 can for a full 4 gallon tank). Clean points up...clean or replace plugs and spray some KROIL in each cylinder before replacin' plugs (It's gonna smoke like a chimney when she first gits goin' but don't let that git ya)...it takes awhile for it to burn off. :)
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:38 pm

Uh, country, my cubs hold 7 gallons for a full tank, but you are correct on the half can, since one can of Seafoam treats up to 15 gallons.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:17 am

Hey John...WHAT WAS I THINKIN' :? I guess I never put more than 4 gallons in the "Carol Elizabeth" SORRY GUYS for gettin' confused :cry:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"