This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Spider gangs

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Joey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70403

Spider gangs

Postby Joey » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:32 pm

Does anyone have experience with using spider gangs, or rolling cultivators, mounted on a Cub tool bar? We have a Dickey lilliston cultivator mounted on our larger tractors here at the LSU Hammond Research Station and it does a superb job of precision cultivating a field of vegetables. Sooooo, the next question is, would it work on a Cub? If anyone has a setup already, I would appreciate some pictures. Thanks!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Super A » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:14 pm

Why put them on the back? Lilliston made an adapter so you could use them on the 144 cultivator. They do a fine job, nay a beautiful job! The adapters are hard to find, I heard at one time Lilliston quit making them and they seem to sell good at farm sales but you can get them, along with complete rolling cultivator spiders and parts at Agri Supply:

I bought a pair this spring for my >>GASP<< Super A. I got so busy, and my corn grew so fast, :shock: that I just used the tobacco plows (AKA potato hillers, buzzard wings) like we usually do. One of these days, I'll get them set up. Might even post a picture.

http://www.agrisupplyco.com/cgi-bin/cgiitmls?m=ThisP&p=54294.0

One thing, the original Lilliston version was shorter. I am suspicious that you might end up needing to cut a little of the shank off.

Hope this helps
Al

PS When buying rolling cultivator spiders, be careful!! They are "left hand" and "right hand" and it's easy to end up with two lefties or two righties!
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Joey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joey » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:59 am

Al,

I thought of putting them on the back because that's how they're mounted here at the station. Of course, it's a big piece of equipment hooked up by quick 3 pt hitch and would not work on a Cub. When mounted on the back and you go through the field, it leaves a pretty furrow with no tire tracks. I haven't seen them hooked up any other way and would like to see pics of your setup. Also, I'm not familiar with potato hillers or buzzard wings - are those just sweeps? Pics? Thanks.

LYNYRD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70453
Tractors Owned: 1974 IH Cub
1975 IH Cub
MF 135
TO-20
Ford 3000
12 D Harrow Plow
151 Disc Plow

Rolling cultivators

Postby LYNYRD » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:40 am

Joey,
I have a set on the rear tool bar of my cub and they do an excellent job of hilling dirt to young plants, dirt is all crumbled.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:59 am

Joey, the way they usually do it around here is they put the rolling cultivators on the front, and just run the sweeps on the back section to take out the wheel tracks and finish the row middles. Basically the same concept as a 2,4,6, etc. row rolling cultivator on a three point hitch tractor. If you have a set of 5-tine spiders, they do end up getting most of the middles, then you can run a smaller sweep on the back to just take out your wheel tracks.

I have a show to go to Saturday but if I can get time, I'll get mine set up and take you a picture or two.

Here's a pic of a pair of "buzzard wings" from the Agri Supply website. They look almost exactly like the IH version. We call them "tobacco plows" around here, IH called them potato hillers. They pull dirt up over each side of the row and if the weeds don't get too far ahead, they work good to bury them. They aren't as agressive as rolling cultivators, sweeps, or shovels so they aren't as likely to bury the crop. Notice in the picture, the shanks are turned down. They would be turned nearly straight up for use.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Joey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joey » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:31 am

Thanks, guys. I think I'll pair a pair of gangs and experiment with them. Don't have the garden yet, but want to be ready when I do. Right now, more urgent problem on the horizon - looking at a potential hurricane aiming at Gulf coast. Don't need another storm on the anniversary of Katrina and Rita, but what can you do? Make preparations, batten down, and pray.

LYNYRD
10+ Years
10+ Years
1975 IH Cub
MF 135
TO-20
Ford 3000
12 D Harrow Plow
151 Disc Plow

Rolling cultivators

Postby LYNYRD » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:15 pm

Joey,
if you do a search on rolling cultivators, I have a photo posted here that shows my setup.

Joey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joey » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Charles,

Thanks for the pics. Just what I needed.

LYNYRD
10+ Years
10+ Years
1975 IH Cub
MF 135
TO-20
Ford 3000
12 D Harrow Plow
151 Disc Plow

Rolling cultivator

Postby LYNYRD » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:03 pm

Joey,
Just got finished side dressing a lite dose of 8-8-8 to 12 rows of peas then worked dirt up to peas with the rolling cultivators, works grest, dirt all crunbled up nicely, the more pitch the more dirt they pull I am very impressed wih my set. Woould happen to know where I could find a rolling cultivator for 3 pt hitch possible 2 row size?

Return to “Farmall Cub”