This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Air in Touch Control??

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Air in Touch Control??

Postby Paul_NJ » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:54 pm

Is it possible to have an air pocket trapped in a hydraulic system that you can’t get out simply by stroking the actuator valve?

The Touch Control on my 51 Cub has been acting strangely ever since I rebuilt it 2 years ago.

1. When I move the control lever to pull the power shaft in, the last inch of stroke labors and makes a "creaking" noise, almost like a dry o-ring rubbing against a cylinder metal wall.

2. When the tractor is running, every minute or so you’ll hear the hydraulics unit move ever so slightly on its own for a split second, making a metallic "chirping" noise like a hiccup. At the same instant the motor RPM will dip, and then return to normal.

I can’t help wonder if there’s an air pocket that circulates thru the hydraulics. The fluid level is fine. I lubricated the o-rings before I put them in. I’ve probably stroked the control lever hundreds of times to hopefully work out any possible air. The hydraulics works - but it’s sure annoying. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Any ideas or suggestions? Would putting a gauge on it and monitoring the pressure when this happens tell anything?
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:23 pm

any air bubbles hould be dumped inot the reservoir and rise to the top during normal operation.. Check your rocker arms or implement for binding during the las part of the lift, and make sure they are well greased. There is a touch control manual with trouble shooting guide in the Blue Ribbon Manual section of Rudi's manual server.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:09 am

John

Well, then, thanks . . . now I understand why air isn't the problem. Guess I goofed something up when I put the Touch Control rebuild kit in. I use my Cub primarily for pulling things around, so I guess I'll just live with it for now . . . particularly since it's taken 2 years to just get the hood painted and back on. Don't want to take it apart again with all the other projects. But I'm sure you know how that goes. Was hoping for something simple . . .

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:53 am

what you described sounds like the high preasure check valve is sticking. It is a good idea to take a small brake hone to the bores on the touch control before rebuilding. i have found alot of the units are rough and may cause a sticking problem.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:46 am

Clark

Thanks for your suggestion. Would hooking up a gauge on the Touch Control help confirm that to be a problem before I pull it apart again? Where is the best place to connect a test gauge?

Thanks

Paul