This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

My Cub Runeth Over & Over Again

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob Grieb
10+ Years
10+ Years

My Cub Runeth Over & Over Again

Postby Bob Grieb » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:45 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

After three days of doing everything possible to a carburetor that one can accomplish with the help of eight pages of forum posts the Cub is again running and sounds great.

It turns out that the problem was in the ignition :oops: :oops: :oops:

This morning I rechecked the compression and then took the magneto off and cleaned the interior and replaced points and condensor.

I cannot tell you how happy I am and how much I appreciate everyones suggestions and moral support.

I also know more about the carburetor than I ever thought I wanted to know.

Now to paint the hood and get it in place :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:52 pm

That is great, Bob. I think that you, along with the many forum members who offered advice, demonstrated that most problems can be solved if one doesn't give up. Congratulations on a running Cub. Dan

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:02 pm

Great news :!:
Patience and perseverance conquers all, most times I run out of the patience part :lol:
Glad you got the running :!:
8)

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:22 pm

Congratulations Bob! Just goes to show you that it ain't always what you think it is. A mindset is the hardest thing to overcome when troubleshooting.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:22 pm

Bob:

Congrats :!: :!: :!: Image. Glad to know you got it running and that the problem was deduced.. :!: :!:

It was a very interesting thread to say the least :!: :roll: :shock: 8) :lol: 8) :lol: 8) :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:20 pm

Excellent!
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

(CUB HUT)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47401

Postby (CUB HUT) » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:32 pm

I---speaking for MYSELF-- have learned allot from your interesting thread
no one can have too much information in there knowledge of how things are supposed to work --but we all think differently. and sometimes not in the right direction..( CECIL ) I have my hand up--I was at cub fest 2006--
POINT GAP :?: :?: :?: AND you painted your ( CUB ) where :!: :?: :!: :!: My hand is still up :wink: :lol:
BOB mount the hood --and put locktite on the bolts.. :lol: :lol:
THE OLDER I GET ---THE BETTER I WAS

If you can read this... thank a teacher... if you are reading it in English....THANK A VET !!!

Bob Grieb
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bob Grieb » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:40 pm

Cub hut

I painted the Cub using the Farmall Red Roughe paint in a carport with a plastic enclosure. I used a reducer and hardner. The ratio was 8.4.1.

Thanks for your response

Bob

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:51 pm

Bob:
Been there done that. It sticks when you find out its something simple :roll: :wink: 8) :D
Jeff
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:04 pm

When I was in high school I once replaced a carb on a truck and later found out the only problem was a bad condenser that happened to be defective from the day it was installed. Since that time when I do a tuneup, if the points look evenly worn, I don't change the condenser so I'm not creating a problem.

(CUB HUT)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47401

Postby (CUB HUT) » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:11 pm

Bob -------the comment on paint was not at you ---but a joke at cubfest 06 not about where you painted ??? but where I painted my first cub--
still find things around the house with a slight red tint.
THE OLDER I GET ---THE BETTER I WAS

If you can read this... thank a teacher... if you are reading it in English....THANK A VET !!!

Bob Grieb
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bob Grieb » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:03 pm

I once put a motorcycle back together and could not get it started and after several hours my son, who was 9 at the time, asked me if I had gas in the tank. I passed him off for another hour or so because I knew I had gas.

Guess What - No Gas

My son is now 40 and continues to bring it up now and then.

Bob

ps I do not regret all teh time I spent on the carb because now I know how it works

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:23 pm

I am keeping my mouth shut, but opening it at the same time (cool trick).

Back in the old days I used to fix electronics on machine tools. Never was confident enough to have a business card that said 'the SOB from the factory with all the answers' because occasionally I would run into a real stumper. If it was easy, the customer would have fixed it with phone support (did that too) or the in-house wizard. But there are a couple of rules that served me well..... the obvious sometimes isn't, look at the big picture, suspect the cheapest part (connectors, grounds, shields, power) and go to lunch.

Can't tell you how many times I would come back from lunch and know the answer that was so hard to find an hour earlier.

I heard from a good source that the Pertronics ingniton was the way to go, but they use the tractors daily. He says the points/condensers don't hold up like they used to.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Bob Grieb
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bob Grieb » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:23 pm

I installed a Pertronics ignitoion on a 65 Mustang and I have been very happy with it

I did not know they had them for the tractor sector but it makes sense that they could

Bob

Return to “Farmall Cub”