This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Can't get Cub back together!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
KBP
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KBP » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:08 pm

I have spent weeks degreasing, wire brushing, scraping, and sanding. The Cub has been disassembled, rebuilt with new replacement parts where needed and painted with four coats of paint. Good and satisfying work. Now that I am putting it back together, I have run into a unforseen problem with the wheels and rims! No bolts fit the new rims! It seems that my new rims have smaller openings in the lugs then the old rims and the correct bolt, a 1/2 inch by 2 inch square head bolt doesn't fit!!!!!!! To the best of my figuring, I have to find a 7/16 by 3 inch grade 8 bolt with fine threads! Is this correct? I have no idea who changed the new rims and how I am to know the correct bolt to use. Help! Anybody run into this problem? Ken :?:

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cecil » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:13 pm

I have never run into this. Where did you get the rims. Did you check the parts book for possible substitutions. If you do not have the parts manual check Rudi's site for them. Let us know it is an interesting quandry.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:19 pm

Ken,

Where did you get your new rims? The new ones take a carriage bolt instead of a square head bolt. I'm not sure of the size, but if you email or phone Tom at TM Tractor Parts, he can tell you. He may even have them available to ship right away. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/wh/724fp.htm
Last edited by Don McCombs on Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:19 pm

You mean the square heads of the bolts won't fit into the loops, correct?

The new rims are designed to use 1/2" carriage bolts, I believe.

brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brian kov » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:20 pm

1/2 " carriage bolts fit the other rims i have a set of those rims too . 8)
1955 intrnational lo-boy w/ fasthitch, 1960 farmall cub w/fathitch .fasthitch moleboard ,disk,carryall rotovator,54a blade,I.H. 1ooo loader , Syms all wheather cab. PROUD MEMBER OF THE 500 CLUB LO-BOY THAT IS . 1972 154 lo boy

KBP
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KBP » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:00 pm

Thanks for everyones help! A number of responses were that the new rims fit on the wheel with a 1/2 inch carriage bolt. Is that a regular run of the mill course thread carriage bolt or a grade 8 fine thread carriage bolt? I can get regular carriage bolts, but never have seen a fine thread grade 8 carrage bolt. I don't think a soft bolt would be good for this use. Ken

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:48 am

Ken, the 6 I sent hopefully will fit. Never seen a difference in the lugs that the correct square head bolts wouldn't fit.

brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brian kov » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:01 am

the lugs are built smaller , so the square part of the carriage bolt sits in the lug recess .i used some carriage bolts left over from a job ,they were galv. 1/2" reg. thread for deck beams ,although i had to cut them off a bit .they seem to be working fine ,havent loosened up at all yet :lol:
1955 intrnational lo-boy w/ fasthitch, 1960 farmall cub w/fathitch .fasthitch moleboard ,disk,carryall rotovator,54a blade,I.H. 1ooo loader , Syms all wheather cab. PROUD MEMBER OF THE 500 CLUB LO-BOY THAT IS . 1972 154 lo boy

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Postby allenlook » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:22 am

When I purchased my new rims from Miller Tire, I was surprised to find the same thing, the square saddles on the new rims were much smaller than the old ones, and the square-head bolts do not fit.

I asked the question on this forum and someone clued me in that I needed to use carriage bolts instead, so I picked up a set at the local hardware store. Thread was irrelevant as I could get the nuts for them in the next bin over. I chose coarse thread high-grade carriage bolts.

A quick search may show that original thread, and the length of bolts required.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:30 am

The original bolts are 1/2-20. I believe the length is 1-3/4.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Postby allenlook » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:58 am

I could be mistaken, but I think the new rims need a different length bolt. I seem to recall the saddles were offset differently, or you needed a bit longer bolt because the carriage bolt head fits outside the entire saddle with only the square part of the head inside the saddle, whereas with the older bolts, the entire square head of the bolt fit into the saddle itself and seated up against the hole in the middle.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:11 pm

yes Tom at TM explains the square head bolt won't work on the new replacement rims click on the new rims and read it tells you and he has the bolts needed
Jim Turner

KBP
10+ Years
10+ Years

Can't get Cub back together!(rim bolts are different)

Postby KBP » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:06 pm

Thanks to all who clued me in on the proper rim bolts to use on new rims. My local dealer didn't have a clue. He said he sold a lot of the new rims and never had anyone ask him about what bolts to use. I guess I was the only one who didn't know there was a change and didn't know what to use.(myself and the dealer that is) I now have located the proper bolts thanks to a local friend and everyone who posted on Farmallcub.com! Thanks for the help. Ken