This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

ut oh

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mrfrost
10+ Years
10+ Years

ut oh

Postby mrfrost » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:27 pm

hello fellas
bad news
thought i broke a ring but...........
think there is a small crack in the cylinder wall
have been told it it has been bored 40 over already
is there such a thing as putting a sleeve in there
or what do you all suggest
anyone have a good revolver?
just kidding

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Daniel H. » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:31 pm

You can bore up to .060 over. You can also have dry sleeves made for the motor, but I don't have any experience with those, I just know it is possible.
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby jim turner » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:34 pm

it can be sleeved but since it has been bored already you will have to check and see if a sleeve is available for that much overbore, your machine shop will know
Jim Turner

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:16 pm

If the pistons and the other cylinder walls are in good condition, I probably would sleeve the bad cylinder and bore it to 0.040 oversize. That might be lower cost than boring all and buying a full set of new pistons. Chrysler Corp in the late 1940's and early 1950's salvaged (new) bad engine blocks on the production line by boring just one cylinder, or more if necessary, to oversize and assembling the engine that way. The block was marked with a code that dealership mechanics could decipher telling which cylinders were oversize. New crankshafts could have one of more journals 0.010 undersize too. My point is that the Cub has low compression, low speed engine. For example, if the bad cylinder could be sleeved and bored to only 0.020 oversize, leaving the others at 0.040, it probably would not cause a significant problem.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Return to “Farmall Cub”