This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Transmission problem?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
crowman2
10+ Years
10+ Years

Transmission problem?

Postby crowman2 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:25 pm

I had posted earlier about a noise from 1st & reverse, I took the cover off the trans and found the following: The gear which is the slider gear for 1st & reverse has the front part of the gear teeth ground off. P/O had clutch out of adjustment and would grind gears to shift. Can I still operate the cub with the noise after I adjust clutch to stop the grinding? Is it necessary to tear down the trans and replace gear?

:?

Marc

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:31 pm

Crowman,

Many of us are operating Cubs with noisy 1st and rev. Most of the harm is to the operator's ears. Fix it when it becomes a real problem!
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:40 pm

Sometimes its hard to comment on a problem unless your there to see and hear. I agree with George though, most Cubs are noisy in those gears and I'll bet if you compared the wear to new ones you might not think there are so bad.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:44 pm

Marc:

Something I found to be kind of interesting. What lubricant is in your tranny?? If it is Hy-tran, the tranny will likely be a little noisier than if you are using a heavier viscosity lubricant such as 90wt gear lube..

Just an observation.

My three Cubs trannys all have slightly worn teeth.. comes from old age and the occassional grinding. Similar to our teeth I imagine.. they do wear down with age, and after 60 years of PO's Grinding instead of Finding.. there may be a little more wear than reasonable. But with square cut teeth, they will probably outlast us....

If you are using Hy-Tran or equivalent and you find the noise bothersome, the next time you change the lube... flush it real good with Kerosene, run it around a few times with the Kero in it.... and then drain. Refill with 90wt and see if it improves....
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Fluid Level

Postby BIGHOSS » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:08 am

How to check transmission fluid level? As I understand the manual, the trans and pto share the same reservoir for fluid. The filler plug is on top and the level plug is on the left side. Is this correct?
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

Bob Grieb
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bob Grieb » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:16 am

You are correct on the location of the plugs.

Bob

Return to “Farmall Cub”