This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub and Log splitters?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ron Luebke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30145
eBay ID: 9716ron

Postby Ron Luebke » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:27 pm

would a pump that hooks to the pto be the way to go with a hydrolic splitter?
TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT !!!

' its just plain ole Ron '

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:38 pm

Bill:

That splitter is the brain child of WK "Bill" Poor, and you can find him on the Specialty Services pages of the Cub Manual Server along with some of the other Awesome Fabricators that haunt this forum.

Rick Prentice is the next one to get his stuff up on the server and followed by PWL - Phil Lenke.. who is a genius with extrusions for grommets, adapters and the like..

I would like to find out what the 2-Stage is worth... that will determine when and if I can do this.... always coin that determines the projects huh :?: :?:

I have seen the Screw type splitters before and they are pretty safe in the hands of a person trained properly in their use. Just like any other piece of equipment... safety procedures are designed to be followed, not ignored. The best Safety Feature for any piece of equipment is "What the GOOD LORD gave us between our ears".

I have used the hydraulic tag a long splitters for almost 20 years now, and they are my personal choice.. but with that said, every year almost there is an article in one of the papers in the province about some idjit who had his fingers or her fingers chopped off in a log splitter.....

If you want to see something dangerous.. I gotta post the pics of my Father-in-laws splitter.. this will scare the bejeezsus out of any normal human being.

Picture this.. :!: :idea: :arrow: :shock: :shock: :shock:

A really heavy 3 foot diameter or so steel flywheel... with a large axe head WELDED :!: :shock: to it... that gets powered by a Briggs and Stratton 10 hp horizontal shaft engine. DON'T PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE WAY :!: :!: :!: :!: ... a cleaver isn't as surgically precise as this AXE :!: :!: :!:

Dad uses this splitter EVERY year to split his wood. I won't go near it. I almost have my own coffee cup at Emergency, but if I used this.. they would give me my very own Coffee Maker :!: :shock: :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol:

Tim "the ToolMan" Taylor -- NOT!!
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:10 am

That got me to thinking. At the county fair some years back I saw a similar splitter. The wedge wasn't welded to the flywheel itself, though, it was on a slide and driven by the flywheel through a connecting rod. A hit-n-miss engine provided the power.

The wheel would spin, the wedge would move up and down, and the operator would put short, dry, straight-grained blocks of firewood under the wedge as it came down.

The hydraulic ram splitter is the only kind that's practical for anything that isn't perfect straight-grained stuff, though.

Return to “Farmall Cub”