This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Painting the mower deck

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Painting the mower deck

Postby BigBill » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:00 pm

Ok my first task is to protect my used 60" mower deck from rusting any further with some good paint. I first removed the mower deck from my cub lo-boy and using a 4" grinder with the coarse wire wheel on it, i went all over the bottom side of the deck where the blades are. Once I had it clean from all surface rust I cleaned all the loose rust off the deck with an air hose. I picked up some "Rusty Metal Primer" from rustoleum.

"IDEA" ???????

I was painting my front storm door with Rustoleum appliance epoxy white spray paint. Since epoxy paint is very tough hard paint I deceided to spray the inside of my mower deck with the appliance white epoxy paint. I figure two coats of the epoxy paint over one coat of the rusty metal primer should hold up very well and extend the life of my mower deck.

So what do you guys think??? I know that mower decks are hard on paint jobs but there has to be something that will last and there is nothing tougher than epoxy paint.

I may shoot my 154 cub lo-boy with the epoxy white on the tractors white sheetmetal parts too if it holds up on the mower deck.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:30 pm

Bill, Have no suggestions for the exterior side of the deck, but you might try something for the interior side of the deck.

I have been painting the mower decks of my mowers with a product you can find at TSC. The name is "EZ Glide" and it is a paint with graphite mixed into it. My father-in-law steered me to the product as it was orignally designed/used to apply to plow shares and disc's. It seems to work pretty well, the grass doesn't seem to collect/stick as bad to the underside of my mower decks.

I have had to re-coat them every year of so though, but the paint isn't really expensive. you can get it aerosal, pints & quarts at your local TSC.
Mike Duncan

LARRY BALL
10+ Years
10+ Years

PAINTING MOWER DECK

Postby LARRY BALL » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:57 pm

I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO TRY LINE-X,RHINO,OR ONE OF THOSE SPRAY -ON LINER MATERIALS. THE TROUBLE WITH ANY KIND OF PAINT IS THE DEBRIS THE BLADES THROW OUT. EVER LOOK AT A SET OF NEW BLADES AFTER MOWING A FEW HOURS. THEIR ALL NICE AND SHINY. THUS THE PAINT IS WORN-OFF. I WAS EVEN CONSIDERING A HOT DIP GALVANIZING. AS FOR THE TOP SIDE OF THE DECK I USED A "POR" PRODUCT WHICH CAN BE BRUSHED ON. THAT WAS 5 YEARS AGO AND STILL NO SIGN OF RUST. JUST REMEMBER, THE DEAD GRASS YOU CUT CONTAINS FERTILIZER, AND WHEN LEFT ON THE TOP OF YOUR DECK WILL ABSORB MOISTURE. THEN THE RUSTING BEGINS :!:
LARRY BALL

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:24 pm

I plan on washing the deck off inside and out after each cutting too.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Postby kinelbor » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:10 pm

I used Dupli-Color "Truck Bed Coating" I got it at Wal-mart. $8 a can. It isnt like other bed liners that are rubbery and grippy, its was actually pretty smooth and almost glossy. It filled the rust pits really well. I mowed in wet grass one evening, its didnt clump up. A layer of grass formed but I think as it got heavy it dropped down. I quick blast under it with the pressure washer cleared all the grass. Seems to be working well for me.

NIK
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:45 pm

Nice thing about the piece of cardboard that I use for painting.... covers up the mower that has been leaning against the bench for nearly a year now. I t is a bit intimidating looking at the business end of that Woods 59 and think about painting it.

Some great ideas here though!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Bu ... 1bbf44.jpg
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Postby kinelbor » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:09 pm

Here is the "business" end of mine. You can kinda see the shine.
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

Return to “Farmall Cub”