This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hello Everyone! New Guy here with New Cub! 4 Pictures.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Trackburger
10+ Years
10+ Years

Hello Everyone! New Guy here with New Cub! 4 Pictures.

Postby Trackburger » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:42 pm

Hey everyone! I have been lurking around this board for the last week or so and finally registered yesterday right before going to North Carolina to pick up my 1948 Cub.
First the formalities, My name is Steve, I'm 28 years old and have been serving in the Navy for the last 10 years. I live in Virginia Beach, Virginia (Nowhere to really use a farmall :( ) but I have wanted one ever since I was a kid and used to use my neighbors 57' Cub to cut grass. I'm originally from New Hampshire.
Okay...whew...with that out of the way on to the Farmall!!!!
It belonged to my wife's grandmother's brother, and I have been eyeing it for the last 5 or so years. Finally last weekend at our family reunion I inquired about it and he was thrilled to see someone had some interest in it. When I asked how much he wanted for it and he told me to just take it as soon as possible... :lol: Thats a price you cant beat!!! I honestly can never thank him enough, but for a start I told him that I would name the Tractor "Vernon" after him. Nothing like brining a tear to a grown mans eye.
He said it ran when he parked it about 20 years ago (He's had it since 1960) It had a cover on it, but over time ripped apart and basicly disapeared! He has been going out once in a while to put some oil in the spark plug holes and turned the engine over with the crank to keep it from locking up. The gas tank was properly drained and the radiator is full of nice green antifreeze!!! Unfortunitly the hood was cut to accomidate the altinator...not sure yet what I'm going to do with that? I cranked on the engine a few times and seems to have great compression, however due to the condition of the rest of the machine I am planning on taking it down to nothing and completely starting from the ground up.
I'm sure when you look at the pics you will cringe, as it's nothing like some of the beauties I've seen on here, but with some time, money, patience and some hard work I think I can turn Vernon into something great!!!
I have ordered the manuals for it, a restoration book, and have been soaking up all I can from the internet. I'm looking forward to some great info from all of you and hope I can soon be familiar enough with this thing to maybe help someone else out one day. Talk to you all soon!!!
Steve

As it Sat in N.C.
Moved for the first time in Decades!!!
Me and Vernon, and Vernon! 8)
Finally in my Garage!!!
1948 Farmall Cub (now gone)
1971 Cub Cadet 73
1950 David Bradley
The harder thing to do and the right thing to do are usually the same thing ;)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

brichter
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32449
eBay ID: Kinardhippy
Skype Name: Billy.Ray.Richter
Circle of Safety: Y

You're home too

Postby brichter » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:02 pm

Well, Vernon is not the only one who has found a home. You will find out that this is the nicest and most agreeable bunch of folks you could ever want. They will help you in any way then can from advice to parts to just sympathy when things go wrong. Rudi will be along shortly to officially welcome you but till then Welcome.
If you're gonna dream or steal, do it BIG

The best things in life aren't things.
1951 Cub
1963 Corvair
lots more junk

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:07 pm

Hey welcome to you and VERNON.
I would get it running before I worrid about tear down. That can on the exhaust stack was a blessing to keep water out. I would put new points, condenser and rotor in as well as a new dist cap and see if I can get spark. Once you run it a bit it will be easier to find out if you have to do an engine job as well as play with a paint brush.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:40 pm

Welcome aboard, :D others are sure to follow with the official welcome. LOTS of info here, and help, and SUPPORT. As you begin your journey with Vernon. I am coming t a close on a complete redo. Even though i had CaseIH do the engine/transmission, it was still quite an undertaking for someone who has never really turned a "mechanics wrench". Electronics is different though........

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:55 pm

Welcome ABOARD Steve!! Glad to see another Vet out there among us, and thank you for your service as well.

Believe it or not, I have seen worse, but I have to admit I've never seen anyone load a tractor in that manner. Never been lucky enough to have someone close by with a forklift.

Vernon will give you plenty of good times to share with your family and others as the years go by. I'd agree with some of the other comments. If the engine will turn over, odds are it'll run too. I'd take car of the small stuff first: clean up the carb, fresh plugs and such, and see if it'll run without much work.

Then the FUN WILL BEGIN! Be sure to check out Rudi's manual server as there is PLENTY of good info right at your fingertips.

Good luck and welcome.
Mike Duncan

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:08 pm

Welcome Steve. Vernon looks to be in better shape for a starting point than a lot of them I've seen. After spending 37 years in the Air Force and Kentucky Air National Guard, I kinda have my favorite branch of service, but I sure won't hold being in the Navy against you. Proud of you. Maybe someone can repost the pictures of the Navy Cub that one of the forum members has, and I'm sorry I can't remember who it is.

Trackburger
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Trackburger » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:09 pm

Thank You ALL so much for the kind welcome!!! :D

I am taking 10 days of vacation time starting the 21st, so thats when I will really dive in and see if I can hear the engine pur!!! I have already ordered a ton of parts and am watching quite a few things on ebay.

I was fortunite to have the forklift to load it up, but you all would have had a good chuckle seeing my wife and I unloading it!!! I hooked a "come-along to the end of the ramp on the trailer and the other end to the draw bar on the back and basicly ratcheted it off. It would have been easier if the tires had some air in them!!!! :lol:

Anyway, Thanks again for the kind welcome and I look forward to making alot of new friends here. I will post pics as the resto begins and through out the project. I cant even begin to explain how excited I am about finally having a Farmall. I have to be honset with you all up front, I have always been a big John Deere fan, but after this project I may need to get a blood transfusion and change from green to red!!!

As far as me serving in the Military, No thanks needed here, I am proud to do it and wouldnt have it any other way. I just got off 3 years of shore duty (read: "lots of time off") and am now back on a ship....my 3rd one! The USS Arleigh Burke. I'd love to see the pics of the Navy Cub.
1971 Cub Cadet 73
1950 David Bradley

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:04 pm

Welcome Steve that is a great little tractor and a great story as well it will have very special meaning to you for as long as you own it, and yes you can make it a jewel with a little work anything we can do just ask
Jim Turner

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:24 pm

Steve - as everyone else said - Welcome to the board! Let us know if we can assist you with anything.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

ccaldwelltexas
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ccaldwelltexas » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:27 pm

Congratulations Steve!!! Now you will have something to swear at besides the Master Chief.

Restoring these old tractors is like bringing someone back from the edge of death - very very rewarding. At the same time it can be very frustrating work. I don't think I could ever buy one that has already had the restoration done though. You will find the folks on this forum to be very helpful. I am new to the Cub Forum (actually a John Deere Guy) and have been very surprised at the quick and informative responses to questions.

Enjoy,

Cliff
[/img]

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:28 pm

Steve,
Now I might hold that John Deere stuff against you ........ :lol:
Last edited by Paul B on Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:44 pm

Here's the link to Todd's Navy Cub pictures. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

http://www.lovevoodoo.com/harley/pics.htm
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Trackburger
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Trackburger » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:18 pm

Thanks for the link Don, very cool!!! 8)
1971 Cub Cadet 73
1950 David Bradley

denton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24550
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1951 Farmall Cub
1951 Ford 8N
1953 Allis CA (not running)
1996 Kubota M4700

Postby denton » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:28 pm

congrats on your first tractor. That's really great feeling.

The seat might need adjustment prior to mowing!

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:44 pm

welcome!