This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Ran, But won't start later

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines
Circle of Safety: Y

Ran, But won't start later

Postby Jeff Silvey » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:19 pm

Was out running the girl last night for about 15min :D Was running great in 1st,2nd,& 3rd. Got called in for supper. Went back out to put her up it would not start. :cry: Cranks over great. It started raining so I left her out all night. (Good thing BD didn't see her) This morning same thing ran the battery down. Close enough to the garage pushed her to the garage. Put on charger & checked the points OK. What else could it be :?: Could it be the condenser :?: HELP
Jeff
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:24 pm

Two thoughts as to where to start.

1) Check for spark at the plugs - no spark ignition problem.
2) Fuel supply problem. Remove drain plug from carburator and check fuel flow for 30 seconds.

Eugene

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:13 pm

There's no sense in running the battery flat cranking the tractor, praying that it will start. If it doesn't at least fire off in the first 30 seconds of cranking, it's a darned safe bet that it ain't gonna fire off in the next 30, the next 60, or the next 600. All you're doing is wearing the starter out and damaging the battery.

Don't take that to mean I'm berating you. That was just friendly advice that will save you big money in the long run.

Next: Air, fuel, and fire at the right time make for a running engine. If it won't fire, one of the four is missing. Air is generally a given, as it takes a LOT to completely clog up the air cleaner to the point where the engine can't breathe. If the engine was running fine before, and you shut it down normally, it's a safe bet that the timing is okay too.

That leave fuel and fire, the two most common issues. Since you shut the engine off, in other words it didn't quit, there should be enough fuel in the carb bowl to start and run for about 30 seconds. That leaves fire. Pull a spark plug and hold it the threads to a good ground on the tractor while having an assistant crank the engine over. If you don't see a strong blue spark, it's time to start troubleshooting ignition.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:48 pm

I had that happen on a Farmall C on 2 seperate occassions, years apart. In both instances the rivit that holds the metal part to the rotor rotted out and the piect fell off. The same rotor is used in the cub.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:00 pm

FYI:
Checked for spark. NONE Replace the condensor. Still nothing :( Got plenty of fuel. I like what Matt said thaqts good.
Any other ideas :?:
In my line of work

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:06 pm

Check your ignition switch and connections. Don't know if you have a mag or battery ignition but it could easily be a switch malfunction.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:12 pm

BD:
I have a battery ignition. When you pull the switch on you can see the AMP gauge go to the left. When you crank the tactor you can see the gauge go right-left. I think its working. I'm thinking now its the coil.
Jeff
In my line of work

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:50 pm

Changed the switch still Nothing :cry: Any other ideas. I was hoping to take to Portland.
Jeff
In my line of work

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:20 pm

PULLCOIL WIRE TO CAP OFF CRANK AND GROUND IT. SPARKS ITS NOT THE COIL. NO SPARKS CHECK TO SEE IF YOUR GETTING JUICE TO COIL IF NOT KEEP GOING BACKWARDS IN THE ELETRIC SYSTEM KETCHAM
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:36 pm

Did what Ketcham said. No spark. Checked both sides of coil with meter. Still nothing.
Thanks
Jeff
In my line of work

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:44 pm

Jeff - no spark at the coil with a battery ignition means one of three things. Either the points are not making / breaking or you have no voltage to the coil or the coil is bad. (you did say you changed the condensor - right?)
Do I understand you to say that you measure no voltage on either coil primary terminal at any time. With the switch on, you should measure 6 volts on the negative primary terminal at all times and on the positive primary terminal when the points are open. The wire that attaches to the coil primary negative terminal runs back to the ignition switch. If you have 6 volts from the switch you should have it at the coil.

You can try running a jumper wire from the battery negative post to the coil negative terminal and see if it will run.
Since it was running fine and all of a sudden won't start it sounds like a wire broke off or fell off or the switch failed. Let us know what your readings are and we can proceed.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

wwirz
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wwirz » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:06 pm

I had the same thing happen to me. Checked everything that you checked. I replaced the coil and it fired right up!! Coil went bad....and without warning!!

Good luck!

Bill

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:00 am

Sounds like Jeff doesn't have electric to the coil... Weird because the ammeter shows discharge... Could be the insulation on the wire that runs from the ignition switch to the coil rubbed bare somewhere along the line, and you're getting a short.

Get a voltmeter. Put one probe on a clean spot on the tractor frame. Turn the ignition on. Put the other probe to each of the two terminals on the coil. If you don't get a needle bounce on either side, you've got a short in the ignition wire. If you get a needle bounce on the side that runs back to the ignition switch only, you've got a bad coil.

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:55 am

I agree with the last two posts.if ya run a wire from the neg post to coil your hot.My 1950 H is hot wired right now.[its disconnected i should say].The kill switch is bad.So I'm running a wire straight from the battery to the coil.[I'll get a kill switch sooner or later].This way you know the coil is getting juice.Then you can back track after that.Thats how I found out my kill switch was bad.If no firing up after that then coil test and move forward.Good luck and keep us posted.KETCHAM
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:16 am

Go here it a different Farmall tractor but it wires the same. Use picture 2.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIn ... 065733&f=0

From what you have posted I take it you know how to use a volt meter. If not let us know and we will lead you through it. If you don't have one I think you can get one for under $10.00 at Radio Shack.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop